Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Bus Fire Thursday Afternoon
Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:14 PM
An Ohio Valley Opportunities bus caught fire Thursday while transporting students home from the nonprofit's Head Start program at Southwestern.
Fifteen children, aged 3 to 5, were riding in the school bus when OVO bus driver Tina Griffith smelled smoke while she was making one of her stops in the College Hills sub-division in Hanover.
"I saw smoke coming from my engine and immediately evacuated my students," Griffith said. "Some were pretty shook up, but most were calm, cool and collected."
Griffith said she had all of the students off the bus within 25 seconds of seeing the smoke during a stop.
No one was injured.
Griffith took the children to the back of a nearby house and "within seven or eight minutes (the bus) was completely engulfed in flames."
Griffith said her bus is regularly inspected every six months, and when she did her regular pre-trip check this morning no problems were found.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved