Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Couple picks up the pieces after fire
Byline info is not available
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:00 AM
SALVAGING ITEMS: Kenny Bruther stands among some of the salvaged items from his home at 530 Hickory Drive in Hanover on Monday. The home was destroyed by a fire Friday night. Firefighters believe the fire started inside a wall in the kitchen, below. (Staff photos by Ken Ritchie)
Hanover residents Pauline and Kenny Bruther wouldn't be denied a Thanksgiving with their family this year.
The couple, married since 1972, saw their home at 530 Hickory Drive destroyed by fire late Friday.
But at 7 p.m. Saturday - after spending an emotional day rummaging through what was left of their belongings - the couple sat at the table with family ready to pick up the pieces and move on.
"We went ahead and had it, and I think it kind of took the edge off things," Kenny Bruther said Monday, while standing outside of his home. "It's an inconvenience, but the main thing is that nobody was hurt."
The fire broke out Friday evening shortly after the Bruthers and their 17-year-old granddaughter returned home from dinner. They were making plans for a family Thanksgiving dinner at their house the following day.
The turkey was being prepared, and they had begun decorating the Christmas tree.
At about 10 p.m., they smelled smoke and spotted a fire that had started in the kitchen. Kenny tried to extinguish the blaze, but it soon grew beyond his control and moved to the attic.
"You don't think it can happen to you, but it does," he said.
Firefighters from Hanover Township Fire Department determined the cause of the blaze was faulty aluminum wiring.
Crews spent about four hours dousing water on the flames in the attic that evening, but the fire rekindled the following day creating more damage to the home.
On Monday, as the Bruthers worked to salvage items that survived, the outside of the home - excluding the roof - appeared to be unharmed.
But inside, fire crews had knocked out much of the ceiling, and the water and soot that collected below ruined most of the interior.
The couple purchased the home 30 years ago after getting married. It is the home where they raised their children.
Kenny, a drywall finisher, had built several additions to the house, including a detached garage and more bedrooms.
Since the fire, the couple said they have been blessed with a wealth of help from friends and family. Kenny said many of the firefighters helped carry out much of the furniture that could be salvaged.
The Bruthers are waiting to hear back from their insurance company to see if renovations are possible. In the meantime, they are staying with their daughter in Madison.
If the house is beyond repair, they intend to rebuild in the same spot.
"We're just going to take it one step at a time," Kenny Bruther said.
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAY
PHOTOS: HOLIDAY HEARTBREAK
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
Message is a required field.
Captcha entry is not valid, please try again.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
Search only accepts letters and numbers.
© 2016 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved