Former Madison resident injured in home explosion
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:00 AM
NEWPORT, Ky - A former Madison resident, his wife, and his son were injured in a house fire Friday in Newport, Ky. The son died Monday of injuries he sustained in the explosion and fire.
Paul Neal, the son of the late Carolyn and Mike Neal of Madison, sustained a compressed fracture of his back and cuts on his hand. His wife, Ida, sustained burns on her face and hands.
Their son, Dwayne Luttrell, had burns over 78 percent of his body and had been on a breathing tube over the weekend.
Newport Fire Capt. Gary Auffart said that Dwayne Luttrell died Monday morning at University of Cincinnati Medical Center.
A neighbor said Luttrell was alert and talking but was severely burned when he found him about 3 feet from the foundation of his leveled home Friday morning.
The fire department's findings were consistent with a natural gas explosion. Campbell County fire investigators ruled out foul play.
Auffart said there was no new information Monday on the investigation.
Mike Neal is the former editor of The Madison Courier.