Attempts to thaw frozen water lines caused a small fire and minor damage at a Milton business Wednesday morning.

Cross Country Used Tires owner Emmitt Manning had been trying to use a heater to thaw water lines that had become frozen during the recent subzero temperatures, Milton Fire Chief Jason Long said. The torpedo heater ignited insulation in the wall, causing a small fire in the rear of the building that houses about 1,000 tires.

Milton fire units responded to the building in the 8300 block of U.S. 421 around 11:16 a.m. They were able to open the wall to access the fire and extinguish it.

Long estimated the fire damage to be less than $500.