SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Johnny Cueto remains in the Dominican Republic helping his ailing father a week after pitchers and catchers reported to spring training, and the San Francisco Giants spoke with him on Monday and reported the right-hander is doing well and expects to join the team by this weekend.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said a decision will be made soon if Cueto, a former Cincinnati Red, remains on the World Baseball Classic roster for his country. Cueto is continuing his throwing at the team’s academy in Boca Chica and Bochy said the pitcher is working to secure all the paperwork for his father to come to the United States.

“The WBC is starting to cause a slight concern,” Bochy said. “He’ll be smart enough to know if he’s ready or not.”

Cueto, who signed a $130 million, six-year contract before last season, went 18-5 with a 2.79 ERA and five complete games in 32 starts last year.

Bochy said the 31-year-old Cueto ideally would be built up to the range of 50-60 pitches ahead of the WBC. The Dominican squad is set to open against Canada in Pool C on March 9 in Miami.

Cueto showed a year ago in his first spring training with the Giants how meticulous a routine he keeps to prepare for a season and even between starts.

“You know Johnny: He’s smart. He has a great way of getting ready, he paces himself,” Bochy said. “You saw last year. ... Johnny knows what it takes to get ready.”
Copyright 2017 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.