Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - August 1, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:00 AM
Madison’s Annelise Hackney with the 16U LC Fastpitch Softball Team out of Lexington, Ky. (Submitted photo)
- Madison Consolidated High School softball player Annelise Hackney recently competed in the Big Orange College Showcase held in Knoxville, Tenn.
Hackney plays third base for the 16U LC Fastpitch Softball Team based out of Lexington, Ky.
While competing in the college showcase, Annelise batted .500 over six games and drove in the game-winning run against the Birmingham Blaze at the start of tournament play.
Annelise is a junior and will be a returning varsity player for coach Tony Ralston's Madison Lady Cubs.
- Madison Consolidated High School's football team will hold its first official day of practice on Monday, Aug. 5, at the high school.
Players should arrive at 4 p.m. for a team meeting and practice will run 5-8 pm.
All players must have a copy of their sports physical prior to participating in workouts.
- All Shawe High School girls in grades 9-12 who are interested in playing golf this fall should attend the first practice on Friday.
The first practice will take place at Sunrise Golf Course at 8 a.m.
For more info, call the Shawe Athletic Office at (812) 273-2150, Ext. 229.
- Cozy Acres Golf Course hosted some of the top junior golfers July 25 for an Indiana Golf Foundation tourney. Par for 18 holes is 64 strokes at the par-3 layout.
Hannah Huff won the Girls 12-year-old division with an 83 while Katie Hertz was second with an 87. Drew Barron, shot the best round of the event by a local golfer to finish second in the Boys 12-year-old with a one-under 63 and Keara Eder was first in the Girls 8- to 9-year-old with a 39 while Callie Alderman was third with a 77.
- Southwestern Middle School's soccer team is currently conditioning for the upcoming season.
The program meets on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Southwestern High School soccer field. Sessions will run throughout the summer from 6-8 p.m. for all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
Official practice will begin Monday, Aug. 5.
For more info, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- The Madison Parks Department is currently looking for coaches for the Little League Football program.
There will be an organizational meeting in the basement of the Brown Gym at 7 p.m. today.
Anyone interested in either being a head coach or an assistant coach is required to have a background check on file and agree to the coaches code of conduct.
For more info about becoming a coach or helping with the football program, call Scott Davidson at (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- Deadlines are fast approaching for the Madison Parks Department's flag football, tackle football, volleyball and cheerleading leagues.
The deadline to sign-up for tackle football is Aug. 2, for Flag Football and cheerleading is Aug. 9 and for volleyball is Aug. 23.
The participation fee is $50. Applications can also be turned in at the Parks Office located in the Brown Gym during normal office hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or mailed to the Madison Parks Department at 101 W. Main Street, Madison, IN, 47250. Forms are also available online at madisonparks.com.
For more info, call the parks office at (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- Lide White Boys & Girls Club will be "Gone Fishing" on Saturday for the 28th Annual Chelsea BassMasters/LWBGC Fishing Tournament.
The event will place 30 of the club's children between 6-15 years old fishing with member of the local bass club for a day of fishing on the Ohio River. Action gets under way around 7 a.m. and runs throughout the day until about 2:30 p.m.
Each child will have a day of fishing, boating and fun and receive a brand new rod, reel, fishing equipment and a life-time of memories.
- Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge is open to recreational fishing at 165-acre Old Timbers Lake on Mondays, Fridays and the second and fourth Saturdays of each month through November.
For more info, call the refuge office at (812) 273-0783 or visit the website www.fws.gov/refuge/big_oaks.
- The Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club will hold a series of fishing tournaments on the second Saturday of each month through August.
Each tournament runs from 6 a.m. to noon and will be held at the Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club Lake off County Road 933 between Deputy Pike and SR 250 in Deputy.
The entry fee is $10 and winner takes 50 percent. For more info call (812) 866-4616 or (812) 801-6314.
- Southwestern's Athletic Department is now selling All-Sports passes for the 2013-2014 school year.
The passes will be sold for a discounted rate for the entire month of August and will go up in price for the rest of the year starting on Sept. 1. The passes are $20 for students and 50 and over, $45 for adults and $115 for the immediate family.
Tickets can be purchased at any high school or middle school soccer or volleyball game this fall. They can also be purchased in the athletic office.
Call athletic director Tom Scroggins at (812) 866-6243 or for more information.
- The You Can Run, But You Can't Hide 7K night race will be held tomorrow at the Sunrise Golf Course starting at 10 p.m.
The entry fee is $25. The top three men and women in both the run and walk will receive awards as will the top three in each age group.
Registration is from 9-9:30 p.m. on race day. The race will be held rain or shine. The race benefits the Fraternal Order of Police.
For more info or to volunteer call Natasha Melton at (812) 599-0137 or Victoria Harris at (812) 801-1943.
- Madison High School's cheerleaders will be hosting a one day cheer clinic on Saturday at the high school gym from 9-11:30 a.m.
Participants will learn a cheer, chant and dance routine to be performed at a boys and girls basketball game. The cost is $15, with a T-shirt $20. The T-shirt will be distributed at the game they cheer.
For more info call Pam Smith at (812) 701-0098.
- The second annual CASA Kids Golf Scramble will be Saturday, Sept. 14 at Cozy Acres Golf Complex in Madison.
Registration is at 9:30 a.m. with a shotgun start at 10 a.m. The cost is $25 perperson of $100 per four-player team. Proceeds support education and training for volunteers of the Vopices for Children CASA/GAL program in Jefferson and Ripley counties.
For more info, call Pam Moon at (812) 599-2630 or reach her by email at SEIvoices@cinergymetro.net. Check can be made payable to: SEICC, P.O. Box 351, Madison, IN 47250.
- Switzerland County Tourism will host a Cabela's King Kat Tournament Trail $10,000 Super Event at Paul Ogle Riverfront Park in Vevay Aug. 9-10 and pre-registration is now under way.
A team event, teams can consist of one of two persons and a third person providing the individual is less than 16 years or over 65 years of age. A six rod limit rule applies and anglers may fish the Ohio River from McAlpine Dam to Meldahl.
Entry fee is $200 per teamand members are required to join the Cabela's King Kat Association. Late entries are accepted at an additional charge. There is no admission to watch the daily weigh-in at Paul Ogle Riverfront Park beginning at 4 p.m. both days.
Registration and a complete set of rules and regulations is on-line at www.kingkatusa.com and at various businesses around Switzerland County and at the Switzerland County Visitors Center, 128 W. Main St., Vevay.
You can also contact the Switzerland County Visitors Center at (812) 427-3237 or e-mail email@example.com.
- The Cincinnati Reds will welcome FFA members, their families and friends, alumni and supporters to Great American Ballpark for FFA Day at the Ballpark on Sunday, Aug. 25.
The Reds take on the Milwaukee Brewers at 1:15 p.m.
Discount tickets are being specially offered to FFA members and supporters. A View Level Box or Mezzanine seat is $17.50, regularly sold at $25 each, or a Field Box seat is $24.50, regularly sold at $36.
For every ticket sold, $2 is donated back to Ohio FFA.
To order tickets and support Ohio FFA, go to www.Reds.com/FFA and enter promotional passcode "OHFFA."
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved