Courierarea Sports Shorts - August 2, 2013
Friday, August 02, 2013 11:00 AM
- Southwestern Middle School soccer will hold its first official practice on Monday, Aug. 5, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the high school soccer field.
Practices will run Monday-Friday at the same time. All current sixth, seventh and eighth graders interested in playing should attend and athletes must have a sports physical in order to participate.
A parent's meeting will be held on Thursday, Aug. 8 from 7:30 to 8 p.m. to discuss the upcoming season. For more info, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- Madison Consolidated High School's football team will hold its first official day of practice on Monday, Aug. 5, at the high school.
Players should arrive at 4 p.m. for a team meeting and practice will run 5-8 pm.
All players must have a copy of their sports physical prior to participating in workouts.
- All Shawe High School girls in grades 9-12 who are interested in playing golf this fall should attend the first practice today.
The first practice was at Sunrise Golf Course at 8 a.m.
For more info, call the Shawe Athletic Office at (812) 273-2150, Ext. 229.
- Deadlines are fast approaching for the Madison Parks Department's flag football, tackle football, volleyball and cheerleading leagues.
The deadline to sign-up for tackle football is today, for Flag Football and cheerleading is Aug. 9 and for volleyball is Aug. 23.
The participation fee is $50. Applications can also be turned in at the Parks Office located in the Brown Gym during normal office hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or mailed to the Madison Parks Department at 101 W. Main Street, Madison, IN, 47250. Forms are also available online at madisonparks.com.
For more info, call the parks office at (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- Lide White Boys & Girls Club will be "gone fishing" tomorrow for the 28th Annual Chelsea BassMasters/LWBGC Fishing Tournament.
The event will place 30 of the club's children between 6-15 years old fishing with member of the local bass club for a day of fishing on the Ohio River. Action gets under way around 7 a.m. and runs throughout the day until about 2:30 p.m.