Courierarea Sports Shorts - August 28, 2013
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:00 AM
- Shawe's junior varsity volleyball team defeated Jac-Cen-Del at home on Tuesday, 25-19, 25-19.
Bailey Wolf was 21-for-23 passing with four digs. McKay Burdette was 23-of-24 setting with two assists. Shannon Fry added six kills and was 11-of-12 attacking.
- Shawe Junior High's soccer team tied Switzerland County 1-1 on Monday..
After the Pacers scored a goal to end the first half, the Hilltoppers came back with a goal of their own in the second half on a Kate Grote assist and Jack Lisle score.
Shawe also got solid play from Nick Weatherbee in the middle and defenders Sergio Garcia and Zane Love.
The Toppers return to action today, hosting South Ripley.
- Southwestern Middle School soccer tied South Ripley on the road Monday, 0-0.
The Rebels took 10 shots on goal and allowed zero shots on goal by the Raiders as both defenses battled the entire game.
Southwestern travels to Jac-Cen-Del on Thursday.
- Southwestern's Sarah Anderson and Switzerland County's Brooke Todd and Susie Reyes were named Ohio River Valley Conference players of the week in their respective sports.
Anderson and Todd were named the ORVC volleyball co-players of the week. Anderson, recorded six kills, two aces and 53 assists in two games. She also averaged 97 percent serving and 99 percent setting.
Todd, had a 95 percent serving average, 94 percent passing average, 92 percent setting average, and a .80 spike average versus Oldenburg. She also notched three aces versus the Twisters.
Reyes was named the ORVC girls golfer of the week. In two matches last week, Reyes shot a 46 at North Branch Golf Course and a 49 at Hoosier Links Golf Course.
- The Madison Adult Flag Football league will hold an organizational meeting today at the Rucker Sports Complex.
Anyone interested in entering a team should have a representative attend the meeting. The entry fee is $415.
For more info call Scott Davidson at (812) 292-4282 or Kyle Oliver at (812) 599-2765.
- The second annual CASA Kids Golf Scramble will be Saturday, Sept. 14 at Cozy Acres Golf Complex in Madison.
Registration is at 9:30 a.m. with a shotgun start at 10 a.m. The cost is $25 perperson of $100 per four-player team. Proceeds support education and training for volunteers of the Vopices for Children CASA/GAL program in Jefferson and Ripley counties.
For more info, call Pam Moon at (812) 599-2630 or reach her by email at SEIvoices@cinergymetro.net. Check can be made payable to: SEICC, P.O. Box 351, Madison, IN 47250.
A second event will be an annual cornhole tournament at Hanover College hosted by Kappa Alpha Theta from noon until 4 p.m. The cost is $10 per two-man team with all proceeds going to the Southeastern Indiana Voices for Children.
For more information call Kaitlin at 317-697-3779 or email email@example.com.