Year In Review
Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - December 18, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:00 AM
- Club Madison and Punishment Wrestling Academy Wrestlers Bricen Spears, Braedon Spears and Camden Spears (pictured) spent their Thanksgiving weekend becoming the latest All American wrestlers for Club Madison.
The Spears brothers traveled to St. Louis to compete in the Show-Me Nationals and all three earned All-American status. Bricen placed third, Camden placed fifth and Braedon placed sixth.
- Southwestern's Cass Lawson and Switzerland County's Eve Galbreath and Austin Clark were named Ohio River Valley Conference Players of the Week.
Lawson and Galbreath were named Co-ORVC Girls Basketball Players of the Week. Lawson had 32 points, 23 assists, 16 steals and 15 rebounds in three games this past week. Galbreath posted 37 points, 17 rebounds and five steals in two games.
Clark was named the Co-ORVC Boys Basketball Player of the Week alongside South Ripley's Austin Halcomb. Clark had 44 points, 13 rebounds and five steals in two games.
- Madison's junior high girls basketball teams split with Columbus Central on Tuesday.
In the seventh grade game, Madison defeated Columbus Central 41-39 in overtime. The Bears dropped the eighth grade contest, 47-19.
- Switzerland County's jayvee girls basketball team defeated South Ripley 30-9 on Tuesday.
Whitley Schirmer led the Pacers (7-1) with 10 points, McKayli Scudder had six points, Bre Brown had five and Baylee Scudder scored four.
- Trimble County's jayvee girls basketball team lost to Assumption 26-25 at home on Tuesday.
Ashley Brierly led Trimble County with nine points. Katie Gonterman and Tailor Brewer scored six points each.
Trimble, now 0-3 on the season, hosts Williamstown on Saturday.
- The Madison Elk's Lodge 524 Hoop Shoot Free Throw Contest will be held at the Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club on Monday.
There will be two sessions. The first session will start at 10 a.m. and the second session will start at 5 p.m. All contestants should arrive 30 minutes early to register.
The competition is open for boys and girls that are ages 8-9, 10-11, and 12-13 by April 1, 2014. Winners from each division will advance to higher levels of the competition. The contest is available to all boys & girls in the above age groups that reside in Madison, Jefferson County and any surrounding counties without an active Elk's Lodge Club in their county.
For more info, call Boys & Girls Club Executive Director Ray Black, Jr. at (812) 265-5811.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved