Year In Review
Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - February 12, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:00 AM
- Local auto racing phenomenon Cody Mahoney - the 26-year-old Hanover native has been racing almost two decades - has added another award to his mantle but this time as a crew chief.
Mahoney was honored as 2012 Crew Chief of the Year in the Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model Series on a car driven by Don O'Neal. The award is based on a points system.
A 2005 graduate of Southwestern, Mahoney has been involved in racing since his parents, Garry and Audie Mahoney, put him in his first competitive ride at age eight and he won a Kart Racing championship in 1994.
While Mahoney was obviously successful as a crew chief in 2012, he plans to get back behind the wheel this year as a driver in the series in 2013.
- Former Runnin' Raider Alex Rand has been honored by Transylvania University and the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference for cross country.
Rand, who ran for Trimble County under coaches Jeff Vincent, Mike Dunaway and Christy McKinney, was a junior captain on the Pioneers' women's cross country team last season. She placed 90th at the HCAC meet last October with a time of 30:36.03 in the 6,000-meter event as a junior and was named to the All-HCAC Sportsmanship team representing Transylvania.
Rand then ran a personal best time of 29:27.40 at the 2012 NCAA Division III Great Lakes Regional where she was 219th and the Pioneers finished 37th as a team.
At Transy's annual cross country banquet, Rand was honored as the program's female award winner for 2012.
Rand, who has competed in both cross country and track at Transy, earned 110 percent awards in track as a freshman and sophomore and most dedicated athlete honors in cross country as a sophomore. She also set the school record in the 1500 meters that same sophomore season.
Rand, the daughter of Rick and Vickie Rand, ran for the Raiders from 2006-2010 when the program won two North Central Kentucky Conference titles and posted several high finishes in Class A at both the regional and state meets.
- Madison's boys freshman basketball team wrapped up its season with two tournament losses at the Seymour Invitational Tournament on Saturday.
The Cubs lost to eventual tournament champion Bedford North Lawrence 45-31 in the opening game. Madison lost 25-18 to Seymour in the consolation game.
Madison finished the season with a 6-12 record.
- Madison's Junior High wrestling team lost to New Albany Hazelwood 53-46 on Thursday.
Winners for the Bears were: Camden Spears, Quinton Farris, Gage Sproles, Ethan Schafer, Brendan Shook, Corbin Hughes, Eli Kent and Marcus Schoonover. Cory Williams, Gage Brewer, Gage Fox and Bailey Quiggle won in exhibition.
Madison hosts Scottsburg on Wednesday.
- Shawe Memorial Junior/Senior High School is currently looking for coaches in junior high golf and junior high tennis.
Both seasons start in mid-March and anyone interested in either position should call Shawe Memorial Athletic Director Stephen Sims at (812) 273-2150, Ext. 229.
- The Southwestern High School cheerleaders will hold a cheer clinic on Saturday from 1-4 p.m.
Each participant will be introduced to the fundamentals of cheering, taught sideline cheers, and a dance routine. Each participant will be given a T-shirt, hair bow, mini pom-poms, drinks/snack at the clinic, and admission to the game that evening where they will perform for the crowd.
The cost is $35. For more information, contact Morgan Hensley at (812) 866-1129 or email@example.com. Forms may be picked up at any of the offices or by calling Hensley.
- The Madison Cub baseball team will host a camp for players in grades three through eight on Feb. 17, 24, and March 3.
The cost of the camp is $40 and will last from 1-3 p.m. each day. Players will learn the proper fundamentals in baserunning, pitching, hitting, and fielding.
It is preferred that campers pre-register by contacting coach Shannon Barger at firstname.lastname@example.org. Players can also register on the first day of the camp at the high school gym.
- Madison Parks Department is accepting quotes for awards, hats, visors, T-shirts, basketball jerseys and football jerseys for its 2013 adult and youth sports seasons.
Businesses interested in submitting a quote should stop by the Parks Office located in the Brown Gym on Broadway to pick up
the necessary information. All quotes must be received no later than Friday, Feb. 22.
All quotes will be opened at the Feb. 27 Madison Parks Board meeting at city hall.
For more info, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved