Courierarea Sports Shorts - February 28, 2013
Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:00 AM
- Six local athletes have been named to the 2012-2013 ORVC All-Conference boys basketball team as voted on by the head coaches of the conference schools.
Switzerland County's Austin Clark, Chase Ritch and Trevor Smith, Shawe's David Grote and Luke Higgins, and Southwestern's Gunnar Henry were each named to the 14-member team.
Other members of the team are: South Ripley's Cody Federmann, Austin Halcomb and Trey Sparks; Rising Sun's Nathan Hannan; Milan's Logan Karsteter and Cooper Wade; and Jac-Cen-Del's Adam Seibert and Trent Smith.
Milan's Patrick Baker was named the Mental Attitude Award winner. South Ripley's Travis Wrightsman was named coach of the year. The ORVC does not name a player of the year.
- Five local athletes have been named to the 2012-2013 ORVC All-Conference Girls Basketball Team as voted on by the head coaches of the conference schools.
Southwestern's Debbie Hardy and Morgan Mahoney, Switzerland County's Eve Galbreath and Brooke Todd and Shawe's Taylor Grote were each named to the 15-member team.
Other honorees were: Rising Sun's Brittany Camden, Kennedy Oder and Sydney Willhite; South Ripley's Emily Cumberworth, Rachel Hensley, Allie Linkmeyer and Samantha Willhoit; Jac-Cen-Del's Sydney Keene and Brianna Volz; and Milan's Grace Herzog.
Camden and Linkmeyer were named co-Mental Attitude Award winners while South Ripley's Brian Samples was named coach of the year. The ORVC does not name a player of the year.
- Hanover College's Courtney Prater, Alicia Hopkins and Katie Gahimer have received post-season honors from the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference and its 10 head coaches.
Prater and Hopkins were each named first-team all-Heartland Conference. Gahimer received honorable mention and was also named to the HCAC's all-sportsmanship unit.
Hanover, 21-7 overall, will play Ohio Northern (26-1) in the first round of the NCAA III national tournament on Friday.
- Hanover College's Ryan Nowicki, Brian Gunter and Tim Bass lead a group of five members of Hanover College's men's basketball team who have received post-season honors from the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference.
Nowicki, Gunter and Bass were each selected second-team all-Heartland Conference by the league's 10 head coaches. Drake Hendricks earned honorable-mention recognition, while Kyle James was named to the HCAC's all-sportsmanship unit.
- Shawe Memorial Junior/Senior High School is currently looking for coaches in junior high golf and junior high tennis.
Both seasons start in mid-March and anyone interested in either position should call Shawe Memorial Athletic Director Stephen Sims at (812) 273-2150, Ext. 229.
- The Madison Cub baseball team will host a camp for players in grades three through eight on Sunday.
The cost of the camp is $40 and will last from 1-3 p.m. each day. Players will learn the proper fundamentals in baserunning, pitching, hitting, and fielding.
It is preferred that campers pre-register by contacting coach Shannon Barger at email@example.com. Players can also register on the first day of the camp at the high school gym.
- The Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club will offer a Fast-Pitch Softball Pitching Clinic on Fridays, starting on Friday from 4-5 p.m. in the Beano Goodman gymnasium.
The clinic is designed for girls ages 7-14 to learn the techniques and mechanics of pitching. The cost is $5 per participant per session or $30 for the six-week clinic, the participant would also receive a clinic T-shirt.
Call the Club at (812) 265-5811 to make a reservation or stop by the Club at 1551 MSH Northgate Road.
- The Madison Parks Department now has applications available for the 2013 baseball and softball seasons for those ages seven to 15.
The participation fee is $50. Forms for those ages seven to 12 are due March 29. Forms for those ages 13-15 are due May 17.
Applications are being distributed to area schools. They are also available at the Madison Parks Department which is located in the Brown Gym and online at madisonparks.com.
For more information about the Rookie, Minor, Major and Upper baseball and softball leagues, please call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.