Courierarea Sports Shorts - February 8, 2013
Friday, February 08, 2013 10:00 AM
- Madison's jayvee boys basketball team defeated Rock Creek 41-25 on the road Thursday.
Tucker Callis scored 12 points to lead Madison, Dylan Bilz scored 11 and Mitchell Seng had eight.
Madison (12-5) hosts Columbus East Friday, Feb. 15.
- Switzerland County's boys junior varsity basketball team defeated Gallatin County (Ky.) 49-42 Thursday night in Vevay.
The Pacers were led by Nathan Hunter with 19 points, five recuonds and two steals while Justus Powell had 11 points, two rebounds, three assists and three steals and Riley Phagan scored nine points. Chase O'Connor led Gallatin with 17 points while Kaleb Beckham added 16.
The Pacers host Franklin County Tuesday.
- The Club Madison Wrestling Team crowned three champions and had five overall All-Americans at the Indy Nationals this past weekend in Indianapolis.
Over 400 wrestlers from across the nation traveled to Indianapolis and Club Madison crowned three champions for the first time in club history, Zane Skinner at Pee-Wee 55 pounds, Brandon Skinner at Cadet 160 and Bradley Skinner at Cadet 170.
Also earning All-American status were Van Skinner, who was seventh at Intermediate 80 and Andrew Skinner who was third at Schoolboy 175.
- Madison's boys freshman basketball team lost to Providence 34-31.
Reece Dryden was the offensive player of the game with 11 points and Carson Compton was the defensive player of the game with two steals and seven rebounds. Trey Holt came off the bench to score four points and earn sixth man honors for the game.
- Madison Junior High's wrestling team defeated Batesville 81-22 on Tuesday.
Winners for the Bears were: Camden Spears, Daunte O'Banion, Quinton Farris, Dalton Sizemore, Dalton Leveck 0, Cody Williams, Gabe Bennett, Jacob Nicols, Ethan Schafer, Draegon Bronham, Brendon Shook, Corbin Hughes, Logan Kent, Eli Kent and Marcus Schoonover. Gage Fox won in exhibition.
Madison (8-1) was at New Albany Hazelwood Thursday.