Courierarea Sports Shorts - January 15, 2013
Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:00 AM
- Madison's boys junior varsity basketball team defeated Charlestown 39-33 Saturday at home.
Kyle Tucker led the Cubs with 12 points. Dylan Bilz had eight.
Madison (8-3) hosts Columbus North on Friday.
- Switzerland County's jayvee boys basketball team defeated South Ripley 43-33 Saturday in Versailles.
Ben Curran led the Pacers with 14 points and six rebounds. Riley Phagan had nine points and five rebounds.
Switzerland (9-3) hosts Rising Sun Friday.
- Madison's freshmen boys basketball team traveled to Charlestown Monday night and came away with a two-point overtime loss.
Reece Dryden scored 18 points to be named the offensive player of the game and Carson Compton added 16 points. Compton also had five steals and was named the defensive player of the game. Jamaal Caldwell was the sixth man for the game.
The Cubs will try to bounce back after two tough losses on Saturday night at Floyd Central.
- Shawe Junior High's girls basketball teams competed in the Snow Bird Classic in Vevay this past weekend.
The seventh grade defeated Switzerland County 27-22 in the semifinals and lost to Rising Sun 28-26 in the championship.
Kate Grote had nine points against Switzerland and 16 against Rising Sun. Brook Koehler had six points against Switzerland and Erin Cooper had six against Rising Sun.
The eighth grade defeated Switzerland County 34-23 in the semis and Lawrenceburg 29-21 in the championship.
Claire Higgins had 18 points against Switzerland and 15 against Lawrenceburg. Megg Hensler scored seven against Switzerland and eight against Lawrenceburg.
- The first meeting of the Madison Cub Booster Club for 2013 will be on Monday, Jan. 21 at 6 p.m. in the high school conference room.
Anyone interested in helping all student athletes is welcome to attend.
- The 2013 Knights of Columbus free throw shooting contest will be Saturday at Shawe Memorial High School.
The event, open to all boys and girls ages 10-14, is free. Registration will start at 8:30 a.m. with competition beginning at 9 a.m.
For more info, call Pat Berry at (812) 273-6607.
- The Jefferson County Futbol Club will be accepting sign-ups for Spring soccer through Feb. 1.
The club is looking for players U9-U17.
For more information and sign-up forms, visit JCFC's Facebook page, email the club at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or call coch Jeff Gleeson at (812) 701-5484.
- Carroll County's girls basketball team is offering a chance to win a car at an upcoming game.
In order to win the car, the participant must make a half court shot, a lay-up, a free throw, and a 3-pointer in 24 seconds.
The team is selling raffle tickets for $5. The event will take place Jan. 26 when the Lady Panthers play Eminence.