Courierarea Sports Shorts - January 16, 2013
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:00 AM
- Switzerland County's Austin Clark has been named Ohio River Valley Conference Player of the Week.
Clark, a 6-foot-6 junior forward, had 31 points and 154 rebounds in two games for the Pacers last week.
- Carroll County's Trey Boles has been named the North Central Kentucky Conference player of the week .
Boles, a senior guard, had 33 points and 11 rebounds in Carroll County's win over Evangel, 19 points and three rebounds in a loss to Anderson County and 14 points and 11 rebounds in a win over Dayton.
Boles averaged 22 points, 8.3 rebounds, 63 percent field goal and 100 percent at the foul line for the week.
- Madison's jayvee girls basketball team defeated Scottsburg 37-25 at home on Tuesday.
Delany Liter led the Cubs with 12 points. Raven Lee and LeAnn Fox had five points each.
Madison, now 14-2, travels to Columbus East on Saturday.
- Madison's seventh grade girls basketball team picked up a pair of wins recently.
The Lady Bears defeated Floyd Central on Monday with a comeback performance in the fourth quarter.
Emma Beasley hit three 3-pointers and Hannah Imel made a field goal in the final two minutes to pull put the win.
On Tuesday, Madison beat Switzerland County 29-11 at home. Beasley had 17 points and Regin Dean scored eight.
Madison, now 3-6, hosts New Albany Scribner today.
- The first meeting of the Madison Cub Booster Club for 2013 will be on Monday at 6 p.m. in the high school conference room.
Anyone interested in helping all student athletes is welcome to attend.
- The 2013 Knights of Columbus free throw shooting contest will be Saturday at Shawe Memorial High School.
The event, open to all boys and girls ages 10-14, is free. Registration will start at 8:30 a.m. with competition beginning at 9 a.m. For more info, call Pat Berry at (812) 273-6607.
- Hanover Baptist Church is holding signups for its winter basketball league through Jan. 31.
The league starts Feb. 9 and is open to students in grades preschool through high school. The cost is $35 each.
For more info call Brad Warren at (812) 599-0831.