Courierarea Sports Shorts - January 22, 2013
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:00 AM
- Trimble County's Rob Brooks was named to the All "A" Classic Eighth Region All-Tournament team.
Brooks scored 17 points in the Raiders' opening round loss to Walton-Verona.
A senior guard, Brooks is averaging 10.3 points and five rebounds per game on the season and is shooting 47 perent from the field and 25 percent from 3-point range.
- Hanover's College's Brian Gunter and Emily Boyd have been named Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference players of the week.
Gunter set his career scoring mark twice to lead the Panthers to a pair of league wins to pick up the award in men's basketball. The senior from Louisville posted a career-high 19 points with six rebounds to help Hanover beat Anderson 89-66 Wednesday. He followed with 31 points and seven rebounds in an 84-74 win over Defiance Saturday.
Boyd, a senior from Indianapolis, set a new school record of 46 feet, 3.5 inches in the weight throw at the Rose-Hulman Friday Night Invitational and has been named the women's indoor field athlete of the week.
- Madison's jayvee boys basketball team lost to Floyd Central 34-29 on the road Saturday.
Mitchell Seng led the Cubs with nine points. Tucker Callis and Kyle Tucker scored five each.
Madison, now 9-4, hosts Silver Creek on Friday.
- Switzerland County's jayvee boys basketball team defeated Rising Sun 34-24 on Friday.
Riley Phagan had 12 points and three rebounds to lead the Pacers. Nathan Hunter had 10 points and 10 rebounds.
Switzerland County travels to New Washington on Friday.
- Club Madison Wrestling traveled to Floyd Central on Sunday for the ISWA Folkstyle tournament.
Three wrestlers placed in the top four in their weight classes. Zane Skinner was second at Pee-Wee-55 pounds, Van Skinner was third at Intermediate-80, Kaleb Eden was fourth at Bantam-45.
- The first meeting of the Madison Cub Booster Club for 2013 will be at 6 p.m. today in the high school conference room.
Anyone interested in helping all student athletes is welcome to attend.
- Carroll County's girls basketball team is offering a chance to win a car at Saturday's game at Eminence.
In order to win the car, the participant must make a half court shot, a lay-up, a free throw, and a 3-pointer in 24 seconds.
The team is selling raffle tickets for $5.
- Hanover Baptist Church is currently holding signups for its winter basketball league thorough Jan. 31.
The league starts Feb. 9 and is open to all students in grades preschool through high school. The cost is $35 each.
For more information contact Brad Warren at (812) 599-0831.
- Switzerland County boys and girls basketball teams will host Shawe Memorial for the inaugural "Mike Night" on Friday, Feb. 1.
The goal is to help raise money for the Mike McClure Scholarship Foundation. The girls varsity team will tip off at 6 p.m. with the boys varsity game following.
The teams will sell shirts until Saturday and the profit from the shirts will go to the scholarship foundation. The scholarship will be available to SCHS students involved in FCA. Please make checks payable to Switzerland County Basketball.
There will also be a benefit dinner held in the high school cafeteria that night from 4:30-6:30 p.m. with all proceeds going to the scholarship foundation. Tickets are $3 for children 12 and under, $5 for 13 and up.
Switzerland County will also take donations.
- The Jefferson County Futbol Club will be accepting sign-ups for Spring soccer through Feb. 1.
The club is looking for players U9-U17.
For more information and sign-up forms, visit JCFC's Facebook page, email the club at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call coch Jeff Gleeson at (812) 701-5484.
- The Southwestern High School cheerleaders will hold a cheer clinic on Saturday, Feb. 16 from 1-4 p.m.
Each participant will be introduced to the fundamentals of cheering, taught sideline cheers, and a dance routine. Each participant will be given a T-shirt, hair bow, mini pom-poms, drinks/snack at the clinic, and admission to the game that evening where they will perform for the crowd.
The cost is $35. For more information, contact Morgan Hensley at (812) 866-1129 or email@example.com. Forms may be picked up at any of the offices or by calling Hensley.