Courierarea Sports Shorts - January 24, 2014
Friday, January 24, 2014 10:00 AM
- Madison Consolidated High School's bowling team was very successful at sectional the last two Saturdays.
The Madison Consolidated High School girls’ bowling team advanced to regionals, finishing second in sectional competition. (Submitted photo)
The girls' team advanced to regionals, finishing second in sectional competition. The boys' team also advanced to the regionals finishing third at sectional.
In single's competition, the Madison boys advanced two to the step-ladder finals, with senior Josh Mahoney finishing in first place and sophomore Josh White finishing third. Freshman Jamin Smith finished in the top 15 and will also advance to regionals.
The Madison girls advanced two girls to regional, after both qualified for the step-ladder finals of the sectional. Junior Angela Leap finished second and senior Mariah Read finished third.
Madison was the only school to have two bowlers each in the boys' and girls' step-ladder finals. This is the first year that Madison has advanced both a boys' team and a girls' team to regional.
- The 2014 Knights of Columbus free throw shooting contest will be Saturday at Shawe Memorial High School.
Open to boys and girls ages 10 to 14 as of Jan. 1, doors will open at 8:30 a.m. with the competition starting at 9 a.m. and the event is free.
For more info, call Pat Berry at (812) 273-6607.
- The Milers of Ohio River Valley (M.O.V.E.) Running Club will meet Tuesday at the North United Methodist Church at 5:30 p.m.
The meeting will be used to discuss plans for a training team to prepare for a spring mini-marathon. Any interested runner/walker is welcome to attend.
For more information call (812) 701-2579, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.moverunningclub.com.
- The Switzerland County girls basketball program will hold "Pink Out" nights on Tuesday against Rising Sun and Jan. 30 at South Ripley.
The team will be selling T-shirts for the occasion and $5 from each shirt will be donated to KDH's Norton Cancer Center.
Order forms can be obtained from any Switzerland player or coach or at the school.
- The Madison-Shawe boys basketball matchup at Connor K. Salm Gymnasium on Feb. 8 will serve as a "Red Out" game to raise awareness about heart disease and stroke.
Students and fans are encouraged to participate by wearing red "GET FIRED UP" t-shirts, which are available for a $10 donation to the American Heart Association. The shirts will be available at the high school throughout Heart Week leading up to the game and at the game.
All money raised by the "RED OUT" will support the American Heart Association's mission of building healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke in Jefferson County.
- Applications for the Lide White Boys & Girls Club's Little League Wrestling are currently available for all boys and girls four years of age through fifth grade.
Athletes who are currently participating on a middle or junior high school team are not eligible for Little League meets or the Little League Tournament but they can be a candidate for the Club Madison team.
Applications are due Feb. 21 and the cost is $30 for Lide White Club members (includes a T-shirt) and $40 for non-members (includes a limited membership and T-shirt). A $10 late fee will be added after Feb. 21. Wrestling begins March 3 and runs through April 24.
For more info call the Club at (812) 265-5811 or visit the website at www.lidewhite.com.