Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - January 26, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:00 AM
- Madison's jayvee boys basketball team lost to Silver Creek 29-26 at home on Friday.
Tyler Manaugh and Kyle Tucker had six points each to lead the Cubs.
Madison, now 9-5, visits North Harrison tonight.
- Shawe's junior varsitry boys basketball team lost 43-30 to Rising Sun on Friday in Madison.
The Hilltoppers (3-9, 0-4 ORVC) were led by Kaelin Jines' game-high 12 points. Brad Koehler scored nine and Grayson Rhoten added six.
Rising Sun (6-6, 1-1 ORVC) got eight points each from Kurtis Armstrong and Jake McClellan..
- Switzerland County's girls junior varsity basketball team lost at South Ripley, 29-18 on Thursday.
Mackenzie Mathews and Hailee Lay scored five points each to lead the Pacers.
Switzerland (7-8) hosts Southwestern on Tuesday.
- Shawe Junior High's girls basketball teams split with South Ripley on Tuesday.
The seventh grade (6-2) lost 24-14. Megan Hesse had five points to lead the Hilltoppers and Kate Grote scored four.
The eighth grade (6-4) won 24-22. Claire Higgins had 14 points for Shawe and Megg Hensler scored six.
- Trimble County's boys junior varsity basketball team defeated Williamstown 42-27 Thursday night on the road.
The Raiders played outstanding team defense to go with a game-high 18 points by sophomore forward Leighton Taylor.
- Trimble County's freshman boys basketball team defeated Williamstown 33-23 Thursday on the road.
Freshman forward Josh Rexroat led the Raiders with a huge double-double of 17 points and 24 rebounds.
- Madison Junior High's wrestling team defeated Switzerland County 82-21 and Southwestern 86-19 on Thursday.
Winners for the Bears were: Camden Spears, Dawnte O'Banion, Quinton Farris, Dalton Sizemore, Dalton Laveek, Dalton Rowlett, Cody Williams, Gabe Bennett, Gage Sproles, Jacob Nichols, Daegon Bronham, Ethan Schafer, Brendon Shook, Corbin Hughes, Logan Kent, Eli Kent, Raymond Clutter and Marcus Schoonover.
The Bears then wrestled Charlestown on Thursday, winning 93-24.
Winners for Madison were: Spears, O'Banion, Logan Long, Farris, Ray, Rowlett, Bennett, Sproles, Tay Wells, Schafer, Daegon Bronham, Hughes, Logan Kent, Trenton Moorer and Marcus Schoonover. Exhibition winners were: Gage Fox and Raymond Clutter.
Madison wrestles at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Columbus Central.
- Southwestern's seventh and eighth grade girls basketball teams swept Switzerland County Thursday night in Vevay.
The seventh grade Rebels (5-7) won 35-20 win as Taylor Cole scored 16 points, Kayla Adkins added eight and Hannah Ritchie scored four.
The eigth grade Rebels (8-2) defeated the Pacers 45-24 as Maliah Howard had 16 points and 10 rebounds, Kelsi Brierly scored 10 points and Michaela Mahoney added six points.
Both Southwestern teams host Shawe on Tuesday and visit Milan on Wednesday - play starting both nights at 6 p.m.
- Madison's seventh grade boys basketball team defeated Seymour 54-31 on Thursday.
Connor Thurnall had 24 points to lead the Bears while Brayden Perry scored 15 and Carson Howser had 10.
Madison, now 13-2 on the season, hosts Southwestern on Tuesday and Columbus North on Wednesday to wrap up its season.
- Hanover Baptist Church is currently holding signups for its winter basketball league through Thursday.
The league starts Feb. 9 and is open to all students in grades preschool through high school. The cost is $35 each.
For more information contact Brad Warren at (812) 599-0831.
- Switzerland County boys and girls basketball teams will host Shawe Memorial for the inaugural "Mike Night" on Friday.
The goal is to help raise money for the Mike McClure Scholarship Foundation. The girls varsity team will tip off at 6 p.m. with the boys varsity game following.
The teams will sell shirts until today and the profit from the shirts will go to the scholarship foundation. The scholarship will be available to SCHS students involved in FCA. Please make checks payable to Switzerland County Basketball.
There will also be a benefit dinner held in the high school cafeteria that night from 4:30-6:30 p.m. with all proceeds going to the scholarship foundation. Tickets are $3 for children 12 and under, $5 for 13 and up.
Switzerland County will also take donations.
- The Jefferson County Futbol Club will be accepting sign-ups for Spring soccer through Friday.
The club is looking for players U9-U17.
For more information and sign-up forms, visit JCFC's Facebook page, email the club at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call coch Jeff Gleeson at (812) 701-5484.
- The Southwestern High School cheerleaders will hold a cheer clinic on Saturday, Feb. 16 from 1-4 p.m.
Each participant will be introduced to the fundamentals of cheering, taught sideline cheers, and a dance routine. Each participant will be given a T-shirt, hair bow, mini pom-poms, drinks/snack at the clinic, and admission to the game that evening where they will perform for the crowd.
The cost is $35. For more information, contact Morgan Hensley at (812) 866-1129 or email@example.com. Forms may be picked up at any of the offices or by calling Hensley.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved