Courierarea Sports Shorts - January 29, 2013
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:00 AM
- Hanover College's Courtney Prater has been named the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference women's basketball player of the week for the second time.
The senior forward from Anderson posted game-highs with 26 points and seven rebounds in the Panthers' 84-76 win at Mount St. Joseph on Wednesday.
Prater followed that performance with 23 points and eight boards in a 68-65 win at Manchester Saturday.
- Shawe Junior High's girls basketball teams swept Rising Sun on Monday.
The seventh grade, now 7-3, won 21-16. Kate Grote scored nine points and Erin Cooper and Megan Hesse had five each for the Hilltoppers.
The eighth grade (7-5) won 59-9. Claire Higgins had 25 points and Megg Hensler had 20 for the Hilltoppers.
- Trimble County's junior varsity girls basketball team defeated South Oldham 38-28 on the road Monday.
Shelbe Black scored 10 points for the Raiders while Ashley Brierly had nine.
Trimble visits North Oldham on Saturday.
- Madison's jayvee girls basketball team defeated South Ripley 40-24 at home on Saturday.
Delany Liter scored 10 points to lead the Cubs and LeAnn Fox had nine.
Madison (14-4) visits Franklin County on Tuesday.
- Switzerland County's jayvee boys basketball team defeated New Washington 54-21 on Friday.
Ben Curran had 12 points and four rebounds for the Pacers while Nathan Hunter had 12 points, six rebounds and four steals and Justus Powell had 10 points and five rebounds.
Switzerland hosts Shawe on Friday.
- Four wrestlers from Club Madison placed in the top two at the New Palestine Folkstyle Tournament.
Garrett Gatke was first at Bantam-65, Austin Chandler was first at Intermediate-140, Zane Skinner was runner-up at Pee-Wee-65, and Van Skinner was runner-up at Intermediate-80.
- Hanover Baptist Church is currently holding signups for its winter basketball league through Thursday.
The league starts Feb. 9 and is open to all students in grades preschool through high school. The cost is $35 each.
For more information contact Brad Warren at (812) 599-0831.