Year In Review
Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - July 10, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:00 AM
- Southwestern Middle School's soccer team has suspended summer conditioning and open field until after the Jefferson County 4-H Fair but will resume the workouts beginning on Monday, July 15.
The program meets on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Southwestern High School soccer field. Sessions will run throughout the summer from 6-8 p.m. for all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
Official practice will begin Monday, Aug. 5.
For more info, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- Madison Parks Department and Southwestern High School's Cheer Squad are teaming up for a Cheer Camp Monday, July 15-17 from noon to 3 p.m. daily at the Brown Gymnasium.
The cost is $25 and parents can sign up their children at the gym starting at 11:30 a.m. on Monday, July 15 just prior to the camp. The camp is designed for ages 5 through sixth grade. Campers will receive instruction on the fundamentals of cheerleading and a T-shirt.
For more info, call Brandi Mundt at (812) 493-7533 or Scott Davidson at (812) 493-9840.
- Switzerland County Tourism will host a Cabela's King Kat Tournament Trail $10,000 Super Event at Paul Ogle Riverfront Park in Vevay Aug. 9-10 and pre-registration is now under way.
A team event, teams can consist of one of two persons and a third person providing the individual is less than 16 years or over 65 years of age. A six rod limit rule applies and anglers may fish the Ohio River from McAlpine Dam to Meldahl.
Entry fee is $200 per teamand members are required to join the Cabela's King Kat Association. Late entries are accepted at an additional charge. There is no admission to watch the daily weigh-in at Paul Ogle Riverfront Park beginning at 4 p.m. both days.
Registration and a complete set of rules and regulations is on-line at www.kingkatusa.com and at various businesses around Switzerland County and at the Switzerland County Visitors Center, 128 W. Main St., Vevay.
You can also contact the Switzerland County Visitors Center at (812) 427-3237 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Madison football program will open its weight room on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. this summer.
The football program will also hold a parent/player meeting at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the High School Gym.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will host the British Soccer Camp July 22-26 in Madison.
Anyone interested in signing up for the camp can visit challengersports.com or call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484.
Forms also will be available at local businesses.
- Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge is open to recreational fishing at 165-acre Old Timbers Lake on Mondays, Fridays and the second and fourth Saturdays of each month through November.
For more info, call the refuge office at (812) 273-0783 or visit the website www.fws.gov/refuge/big_oaks.
- The Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club will hold a series of fishing tournaments on the second Saturday of each month through August.
Each tournament runs from 6 a.m. to noon and will be held at the Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club Lake off County Road 933 between Deputy Pike and SR 250 in Deputy.
The entry fee is $10 and winner takes 50 percent. For more info call (812) 866-4616 or (812) 801-6314.
- The Hanover College Triple Crown Cross Country Racing Series will be held starting Wednesday.
The series, which will run Wednesday, July 17 and July 24 starting at 7 p.m., is designed to test fitness and sharpen summer training. Each week, the race distance will increase one kilometer, starting with a 3-kilometer race, moving to the 4K distance in the second week and ending with a 5K race.
The races will be held on Hanover College's nationally renowned cross country course, the site of the 2013 NCAA Division III National Championships. The course has also hosted the 2003 and 2008 NCAA Division III national championships as well as a number of conference and regional championships.
The cost is $5 per race. Pre-register for all three and receive a one of kind Triple Crown T-shirt on completion of the final race. Registration will begin at 6:15 p.m. on each race night.
For more information, contact Hanover coach Josh Payne at email@example.com.
- The Walnut Street Fire Co.'s 21st Annual Golf Scramble will be held Sunday, July 21 at Sunrise Golf Course.
The cost is $160 per four-person team or $40 per person. Prizes will be awarded for the first three teams as well as for other individual feats.
To register, visit the Walnut Street Fire Co. in downtown Madison or the Sunrise Golf Course Pro Shop. For more info, call Karl Eaglin at (812) 273-1632, Duane Hadley (812) 273-5920, or Sunrise at (812) 265-8334.
- Madison Parks Department has opened registration for several fall sports seasons including flag and tackle football, cheerleading and volleyball.
The deadline for tackle football is Aug. 2 with a mini camp starting at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 5 at the Rucker Sports Complex. There will be two divisions including grades two through four (second grade boys must turn 8 on or before Aug. 1) and grades five and six.
The deadline for flag football is Aug. 9 with two divisions playing including boys and girls ages four and five (age determined by Aug. 1) and kindergarten through second grade boys and kindergarten through third grade girls.
The deadline for volleyball is Aug. 23 with play open to boys and girls grade four through six. Teams can carry a maximum of 12 players.
The deadline for cheerleading is Aug. 9 with a mini camp at 6 p.m. on Aug. 12 at Rucker Sports Complex. Cheerleading is open to grades kindergarten through sixth grade.
All leagues carry a $50 activity fee with a $20 late fee. All fees and registration forms must be returned to the Madison Parks Office by the deadline made payable to Madison Park Department. The mailing address is: Madison Parks Department, 101 W. Main St., Madison, IN 47250.
For more info, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840 or visit the website at www.madisonparks.com.
- Madison High School's cheerleaders will be hosting a one day cheer clinic on Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013 at the high school gym, from 9-11:30 a.m.
Participants will learn a cheer, chant and dance routine to be performed at a boys and girls basketball game. The cost is $15, with a T-shirt $20. The T-shirt will be distributed at the game they cheer.
For more info call Pam Smith at (812) 701-0098.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved