Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - July 10, 2014
Courier Sports Staff
Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:00 AM
- Big Oaks National Wildlife Reserve will host a Take a Kid Fishing Day from 7 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
The purpose of the event is to promote youth recreational fishing and public use on the refuge. Children 15 years old or younger and an accompanying adult may access the refuge for this free fishing opportunity. Activity booths include a kids casting contest, make your own cane pole, and learn about reptiles and amphibians.
A limited number of free fishing packets will be available for the kids on a first-come, first-served basis. Free refreshments including hot dogs, chips, soda, and cookies will be available starting at 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Volunteers will be on hand to assist and teach about fishing.
Visitors will be required to watch a 20-minute refuge safety video and abide by refuge access procedures (Check in at the refuge office). All state and refuge fishing regulations will apply for this free fishing day, but state fishing licenses will be waived for this event. Approximate drive time to the lake from the refuge office is 30 minutes so check-in at the office no later than 2 p.m. on the day of the event.
Contact the refuge office at (812) 273-0783 for more information.
- Shawe Memorial Junior/Senior High School is looking for a junior high soccer coach for the 2014-2015 season. Anyone interested in the position should call the Shawe Athletic Department at (812) 273-2150 Ext. 229.
- The Madison Lady Cubs soccer team has resumed its summer conditioning program.
Any girl who will be attending Madison High School this fall who would like to be a part of the girls' soccer team is "strongly encouraged" to attend these sessions.
The conditioning program will go Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the MCHS soccer fields from 5-6:30 p.m. Girls should wear comfortable workout clothing and bring water. Soccer boots and shin guards are mandatory.
Information regarding the conditioning program is available on the MCHS Athletics website under "Girls' Soccer," and on Facebook or by calling coach Kevin Largent at (812) 599-7831.
- Madison High School boys basketball coach Cliff Hawkins will hold a camp for players in grades five through eight Monday through July 17.
The camp will run from noon to 1:45 p.m. each day and members of the high school team will be on hand to serve as instructors.
- The Toby Carrigan Basketball Camp is returning to the Lide White Boys & Girls Club Monday through July 17 for boys and girls in grades one through six.
Carrigan is the head men's basketball coach at the College of Mount St. Joseph. The Camp will run from 9 a.m. to noon and will teach defense, ball handling, dribbling skills and other basketball techniques. The cost of the 12 hours of camp is $50 for members and $65 for non-members.
- Walnut St. Fire Company No. 4's 22nd Annual Golf Scramble will be held Sunday, July 20 at Sunrise Golf Course.
The scramble begins at 12:30 p.m. with a putting contest starting at 11 a.m. The cost is $160 for a four-person team or $40 per person. Prizes are awarded for the first three teams as well as individual feats.
To register call the Sunrise Pro Shop at (812) 265-8334. For more information, call Karl Eaglin at (812) 273-1632 or Yogi Hadley (812) 273-5920.
- The Madison football program will hold a youth camp July 21-23.
The camp is for local youth in grades first through sixth and will run 6:30-8 p.m. daily. Each session is located at the Madison High School football practice field.
Cost of camp is $25 and includes a camp T-shirt. Walk-up registrations will be taken the first day of camp.
For more info, contact Madison head coach Patric Morrison at email@example.com or (812) 701-2648.
- Southwestern Middle School soccer will resume summer practice and conditioning on Monday, July 14 from 6-8 p.m. at the Southwestern High School Soccer field.
Practice is open to all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders interested in playing in the upcoming 2014 season. Practices will run throughout the summer on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the same time.
In addition, the first official soccer practice for the upcoming season will be held on Monday, Aug. 4. from 5:30-7:30 p.m. For more information, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- The Madison Parks Department is accepting applications for its fall flag and tackle football leagues.
Junior flag football will be available for ages four and five while regular flag league is for boys in grades kindergarten through second and girls in grades kindergarten through third.
Tackle football is for grades two through four and five through six. However, only second graders whose birthday is on or before Aug. 1 will be accepted.
Cost to play is $50 with an extra $20 charge if the application is turned in late. Applications can be found at Brown Gym.
For more info, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- Hanover College's tennis program will host advanced singles and doubles strategy camps in August. The Hanover Match Play and Strategy Camps are designed for serious tournament players who are interested in competing at the collegiate level.
The camps, directed by Hanover's newly appointed head coach Ryan Miller, will feature intense drilling sessions, singles and doubles match play and a question-and-answer session addressing the transition between high school and college tennis.
The boys' camp will be hosted Saturday, Aug. 2, just prior to the start of IHSAA official team practices. The girls' camp will be held Saturday, Aug. 16. Camps will last from approximately 10 a.m.-6 p.m. with a break for lunch and tours of the Hanover campus.
The cost for the one-day camp will be $60, which includes instruction, match play and lunch. All athletes must complete a medical waiver prior to the start of camp. The form is available at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps.
For more info, contact Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 866-7191.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved