Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - July 16, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:00 AM
- Dr. Howard C. Jackson, of Madison, scored a hole-in-one in Wednesday, July 10 at Sunrise Golf Course.
Jackson carded the ace using a 5-iron on the par-3 hole No. 17 - the second hole-in-one of his golfing career. The shot was witnessed by John Jenkins.
- Jared Ison of Indianapolis Brebeuf High School has been named to the Indiana Academic All-State Golf Team.
Ison, who is the grandson of Cecil and Ann Ison of Dupont and Jim and Emogene Konkle of Madison, attended Pope John Elementary in Madison before moving to Indianapolis. He is the son of Dennis and Paula Ison.
Ison was the No. 1 golfer for Brebeuf during his senior season. The Academic All-State Team is selected based on the student-athlete's grade point average and combined SAT verbal and math scores. Ison was second highest overall with a 1560 SAT score and over 4.0 GPA.
In addition, he also received the 2013 Chief's Award at the annual Brebeuf Jesuit awards ceremony held last week. The Chief's Award is chosen by the athletes themselves for the person they believe best exemplifies leadership ability, athletic ability and an outstanding attitude.
Ison will attend Georgetown University in Washington, DC this fall.
- The Madison High School Cub Booster Club will hold its first meeting of the 2013-2014 season on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the high school conference room.
Anyone interested in helping all student athletes is welcome to attend. For more information contact President Steve Stokes at (812) 599-1221.
- Southwestern Middle School's soccer team is currently conditioning for the upcoming season.
The program meets on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Southwestern High School soccer field. Sessions will run throughout the summer from 6-8 p.m. for all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
Official practice will begin Monday, Aug. 5.
For more info, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- The Walnut Street Fire Co.'s 21st Annual Golf Scramble will be held Sunday at Sunrise Golf Course.
The cost is $160 per four-person team or $40 per person. Prizes will be awarded for the first three teams as well as for other individual feats.
To register, visit the Walnut Street Fire Co. in downtown Madison or the Sunrise Golf Course Pro Shop. For more info, call Karl Eaglin at (812) 273-1632, Duane Hadley (812) 273-5920, or Sunrise at (812) 265-8334.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will host the British Soccer Camp July 22-26 in Madison.
Anyone interested in signing up for the camp can visit challengersports.com or call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484.
Forms also will be available at local businesses.
- Madison football program will hold a youth camp July 29-30 at the practice field from 6:30-8 p.m. each day.
The camp is open to kids in grades one through eight and costs $25. Registration is on the first day of came.
The weight room is also still open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. this summer.
- The Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club will hold a series of fishing tournaments on the second Saturday of each month through August.
Each tournament runs from 6 a.m. to noon and will be held at the Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club Lake off County Road 933 between Deputy Pike and SR 250 in Deputy.
The entry fee is $10 and winner takes 50 percent. For more info call (812) 866-4616 or (812) 801-6314.
- The Hanover College Triple Crown Cross Country Racing Series is currently under way.
The series, which began last week, will run two more times, on Wednesday of next week and Wednesday, July 24 starting at 7 p.m.. The races are designed to test fitness and sharpen summer training. Each week, the race distance will increase one kilometer, starting with a 3-kilometer race, moving to the 4K distance in the second week and ending with a 5K race.
The races will be held on Hanover College's nationally renowned cross country course, the site of the 2013 NCAA Division III National Championships. The course has also hosted the 2003 and 2008 NCAA Division III national championships as well as a number of conference and regional championships.
The cost is $5 per race. Pre-register for all three and receive a one of kind Triple Crown T-shirt on completion of the final race. Registration will begin at 6:15 p.m. on each race night.
For more info, contact Hanover coach Josh Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The You Can Run, But You Can't Hide 7K night race will be held Friday, Aug. 2 at the Sunrise Golf Course starting at 10 p.m.
The entry fee is $25. The top three men and women in both the run and walk will receive awards as will the top three in each age group. Registration is from 9-9:30 p.m. on race day. The race will be held rain or shine. The race benefits the Fraternal Order of Police.
For more info or to volunteer call Natasha Melton at (812) 599-0137 or Victoria Harris at (812) 801-1943.
- Madison High School's cheerleaders will be hosting a one day cheer clinic on Saturday, Aug. 3 at the high school gym, from 9-11:30 a.m.
Participants will learn a cheer, chant and dance routine to be performed at a boys and girls basketball game. The cost is $15, with a T-shirt $20. The T-shirt will be distributed at the game they cheer.
For further info contact Pam Smith at (812) 701-0098.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved