Courierarea Sports Shorts - July 23, 2014
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:00 AM
- Madison Consolidated High School softball player Annelise Hackney recently competed in the WFC Summer Nationals held at Myrtle Beach.
Hackney plays third base for the LC Fastpitch Softball Team based out of Lexington, Ky. which placed fourth during the tournament. Annelise batted .555 over eight games and drove in the game-winning runs against the Mason Thunder to advance the team into the quarterfinals.
Hackney is a senior and will be a returning varsity player for coach Tony Ralston's Madison Lady Cubs.
- Madison High School's boys tennis team will hold its first practice on Monday, Aug. 4 at the Junior High courts.
The practice will run from 4-6 p.m. Participants must have a completed physical form on file and should bring a tennis racquet, water and a towel.
For more info, call coach Dennis Munier at (812) 99-7979.
- The Madison High School girls soccer program is recruiting players for its junior varsity team.
The JV team trains with the varsity team and prepares younger or less experienced players to play at the varsity level. The JV team is presently scheduled to play 13 matches before the end of the first week of October. While the ideal candidate is a freshman or sophomore girl who has played junior high or club soccer; any girl, of any high school age, with the interest, drive and the desire to learn to play soccer is encouraged to come out.
The Lady Cubs will begin a week of physical conditioning on Monday and will return to soccer skills training on Aug. 4. A parent information meeting is presently scheduled for Aug. 6, and the first JV game on Aug. 18.
For more info, contact Madison head coach Kevin Largent at (812) 599-7831.
- Southwestern Middle School soccer has resumed summer practice and conditioning from 6-8 p.m. at the Southwestern High School Soccer field.
Practice is open to all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders interested in playing in the upcoming 2014 season. Practices will run throughout the summer on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the same time.
In addition, the first official soccer practice for the upcoming season will be held on Monday, Aug. 4. from 5:30-7:30 p.m. For more info, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- The Madison Parks Department is accepting applications for its fall flag and tackle football leagues.
Junior flag football will be available for ages four and five while regular flag league is for boys in grades kindergarten through second and girls in grades kindergarten through third.
Tackle football is for grades two through four and five through six. However, only second graders whose birthday is on or before Aug. 1 will be accepted.
Cost to play is $50 plus an extra $20 if turned in late. For more info, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.