Courierarea Sports Shorts - June 11, 2013
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:00 AM
- Madisonians Hugh Garner and Elliot Tekulve have both been selected to umpire the IHSAA Baseball State Finals this weekend in Indianapolis.
Garner will handle second base for the Class 2A game between South Spencer (22-8) and Northfield (29-3) on Saturday at 4 p.m. South Spencer eliminated Switzerland County in the regional round last week.
"This is my third opportunity to umpire the baseball state finals," Garner said. "As always I am humbled and excited for the assignment and the chance to participate as an umpire at the IHSAA Baseball State Finals."
Tekulve will get the plate for the Class 3A game Friday night between Jasper (32-3) and Norwell (32-3).
- Madison's girls track and field team recently held its annual awards banquet.
Sophomore Emily Holland, who finished eighth in the state in the high jump, was named the squad's Most Valuable Trackster and as a sectional and regional champion in the event.
Other award winners were: Ashlee Allen, Most Valuable Freshman and Most Valuable Sprinter; Macky Hecox, Most Valuable Thrower; Emily Ward, Most Valuable Jumper; Gabby Nay, Most Valuable Distance and Point Magnet Award; Jordan Breding, Senior Award and Scholastic Award; Tealsee Harris, Senior Award and Sectional Champion (pole vault); Derek Hughes, Senior Award; Breanna Broad, Senior Award; Christian Barron, Senior Award; Raven Lee, Rising Star Award and Sectional Champion (100 hurdles); Katie Hartman, Heart Award; Krista Hazlewood, Allen, Hecox and Holland, Meet Record Cross Bones Relay (throwers relay); Molly Fish, Jailynn Wells, Hecox and Holland, Meet Record, Faulkner Relays (throwers relay); Harris and Ward, meet record, Faulkner Relays and Big Blue Invitational (pole vault); and Nay Olivia Crozier, Hannah Miller and Hartman, Sectional Champion (3200 relay).
- The newly-formed Madison Running Club will meet at 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the Fit For The King fitness center, 2617 Wilson Ave., Madison.
The club, which is open to runners and walkers of all skill level and commitment, will meet in the upstairs part of the fitness center. Although not affiliated with the club, the fitness center is allowing the group to meet there. About 24 attended the group's first meeting and the organization is recruiting new members.
"It has always been a dream of mine for Madison to have a formal running club for experienced and "novice, want to be" adult runners," club organizer Heather Foy said of the group's goals. "My hope is that this club can provide social group runs for area residents, and we can also support local races and possibly host workshops to help runners."
For more information, contact Foy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Southwestern Middle School's soccer team will begin summer conditioning and open field today from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Southwestern High School soccer field.
Sessions will run throughout the summer at the same times on Mondays and Wednesdays for all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
For more information, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- Thunder sports will be conducting a pitching, hitting and defensive softball camp June 17-18 at Madison High School.
The camp will cover defensive fundamentals, proper hitting technique, and mechanics of the windmill pitching style. The camp will feature former college players and successful coaches. The deadline for registration is Tuesday.
For more information and a registration form visit www.thundercamps.com, call John Hendricks at (765) 348-6413 or call Madison coach Tony Ralston at (812) 701-6544.
- The 5th Annual Jack "Daniel" Ison Jr. Live Your Dreams Scholarship Fund Golf Scramble will be held Saturday at Spring Hills Golf Course.
Sign-in will begin at 8:30 a.m. with the shotgun start beginning at 9 a.m. The cost is $50 per player and sponsorships are available. Registration deadline is Saturday, June 8.
For more information, visit Spring Hills or call Jack or Beverly Ison at (812) 599-1415 or (812) 599-1112.
- Shawe's boys and girls basketball programs will hold their annual basketball camps next month. The camps will run June 17-20 at the Hilary Meny Gymnasium at the high school. Kindergarten through second grade boys and girls will meet from 9-10 a.m. with boys and girls in grades three through five from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
The camps will be instructed by boys varsity basketball coach Matt Traylor and girls varsity basketball coach Camille Deuser along with current members of the Shawe boys and girls basketball programs.
- Lide White Boys and Girls Club will hold several camps and clinics this summer.
The Bentz Wrestling Systems Summer Camp is June 17-21 for ages four through eighth grade. Ages four through second grade meet 1-2:30 p.m. while third through eighth grades meet 1-4 p.m. Cost is $30 for members and $40 for non-members.
A girls softball fast-pitch pitching clinic will be offered for girls grades three through eight. Cost is $5 per session.
Applications are available at the Lide White Boys and Girls Club or by calling (812) 265-5811.
- Midwest Elite Basketball will host a basketball camp at Southwestern High School June 20-22. The camp will run for three days, five hours per day.
The cost of the camp will be $125. Players in grades six through 12 from any school are welcome to attend. Numbers are limited so reservations are recommended.
To sign up, call Southwestern coach Andy Firth at (812) 866-1114.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will hold open registration for the 2013 fall league Saturday, June 22 at the Rucker Sports Complex.
Sign-ups will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more info, call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484 or email JCSA at email@example.com.