Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - June 20, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:00 AM
ALL-TOURNEY: Trimble County baseball players Conner Beard (left) and Michael Dunaway were both named to the 29th District Baseball All-Tourney Team. (Submitted photo)
- Midwest Elite Basketball will host a basketball camp at Southwestern High School today through Saturday. The camp will run for three days, five hours per day.
The cost of the camp will be $125. Players in grades six through 12 from any school are welcome to attend. Numbers are limited so reservations are recommended.
To sign up, contact Southwestern coach Andy Firth at (812) 866-1114.
- The Madison boys soccer team is holding a garage sale and bake sale fundraiser on Saturday.
The sale begins at 8 a.m. and runs all day. Multiple families will be on hand with items to sell.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will hold open registration for the 2013 fall league Saturday at the Rucker Sports Complex.
The sign-ups will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more info, call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484 or email JCSA at email@example.com.
- Madison's football program will have the weight room open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
There will also be a Parent/Player Meeting on Thursday in the High School Gym at 7 p.m.
- Southwestern Middle School's soccer team is now holding summer conditioning and open field from 6-7:30 p.m. on Monday's and Wednesdays at the Southwestern High School soccer field.
Sessions will run throughout the summer for all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
For more information, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- Hanover College football coach Steve Baudendistel and his wife, former Shawe High School girls basketball coach Rachel Baudendistel, will take part in the "One Run for Boston, a non-stop running relay to support the victims of the bombing in Boston in April.
The relay began June 7 in Los Angeles and will conclude June 30 in Boston. On Sunday, the relay will go through Indianapolis at around 10:50 p.m.
The Baudendistels will be a part of the relay in Indianapolis along with about 30 other runners.
For more information on the run, visit the relay's website at onerunforboston.org.
- The Madison boys track & field team held its annual awards banquet recently.
State qualifiers Jordan Partee and Wayne Sherbahn were named the co-MVPs for the team. Partee was also the MVP Jumper and honored for earning All-Hoosier Hills Conference and for his school record in the long jump. Sherbahn was named the MVP Sprinter, earned the Leadership Award and honored for school record in the 100 dash.
Other award winners were: David Gibson, MVP Distance and Dedication Award; Hunter Sego, MVP Hurdler and Academic All-HHC; Patrick Knight, MVP Middle Distance; Trajen Jenkins, MVP Thrower; Alex Nunan, Academic All-HHC and Co-Academic Award; Ricardo Climent, Academic All-HHC; Tate Turner, Academic All-HHC and Co-Academic Award; Nick Palmer, Academic All-HHC and Co-Most Improved; Kindell Spiller, Academic All-HHC; Nash Grooms, Co-Rookie of the Year; Nathan Norris; Co-Rookie of the Year; Nathan Riley, Co-Most Improved; and Gibson, Malte Frenzel, Justin Robertson and Knight, school record, 3200 relay (8:27.84).
- Hanover College's men's basketball program will hold its 47th annual boys basketball camp this month.
A Fundamental Skills camp will be held July 7-10. A Post/Perimeter Skills camp will be held June 26-28.
Information and camp forms can be found at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps or by contacting mens basketball coach Jon Miller at (812) 866-7387 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will host the British Soccer Camp July 22-26 in Madison.
Anyone interested in signing up for the camp can visit challengersports.com or call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484.
Forms also will be available at local businesses.
- Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge is open to recreational fishing at 165-acre Old Timbers Lake on Mondays, Fridays and the second and fourth Saturdays of each month from April through November.
For more info, call the refuge office at (812) 273-0783 or visit the website www.fws.gov/refuge/big_oaks.
- The Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club will hold a series of fishing tournaments on the second Saturday of each month through August.
Each tournament runs from 6 a.m. to noon and will be held at the Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club Lake off County Road 933 between Deputy Pike and SR 250 in Deputy.
The entry fee is $10 and winner takes 50 percent. For more info call (812) 866-4616 or (812) 801-6314.
- The Hanover College Triple Crown Cross Country Racing Series will be held starting July 10.
The series, which will run July 10, July 17 and July 24 starting at 7 p.m., is designed to test fitness and sharpen summer training. Each week, the race distance will increase one kilometer, starting with a 3-kilometer race, moving to the 4K distance in the second week and ending with a 5K race.
The races will be held on Hanover College's nationally renowned cross country course, the site of the 2013 NCAA Division III National Championships. The course has also hosted the 2003 and 2008 NCAA Division III national championships as well as a number of conference and regional championships.
The cost is $5 per race. Pre-register for all three and receive a one of kind Triple Crown t-shirt on completing the final race. Registration will begin at 6:15 p.m. each race night.
For more information, contact Hanover coach Josh Payne at email@example.com.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
Message is a required field.
Captcha entry is not valid, please try again.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
Search only accepts letters and numbers.
© 2016 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved