Year In Review
Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - June 25, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:00 AM
Madison golf Co-MVPs Jordan Griffith (left) and Carson Wattenbarger. (Submitted photo)
- Madison football program will open its weight room on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. this summer.
The football program will also hold a parent/player meeting at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the High School Gym.
- Southwestern Middle School's soccer team is now holding summer conditioning and open field on Mondays and Wednedsdays at the Southwestern High School soccer field.
Sessions will run throughout the summer from 6-7:30 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays for all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders.
For more info, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- The Madison boys track & field team held its annual awards banquet recently.
State qualifiers Jordan Partee and Wayne Sherbahn were named co-MVPs for the team. Partee was also the MVP Jumper and honored for earning All-Hoosier Hills Conference and for his school record in the long jump. Sherbahn was named the MVP Sprinter, earned the Leadership Award and honored for his school record in the 100 dash.
Other award winners were: David Gibson, MVP Distance and Dedication Award; Hunter Sego, MVP Hurdler and Academic All-HHC; Patrick Knight, MVP Middle Distance; Trajen Jenkins, MVP Thrower; Alex Nunan, Academic All-HHC and Co-Academic Award; Ricardo Climent, Academic All-HHC; Tate Turner, Academic All-HHC and Co-Academic Award; Nick Palmer, Academic All-HHC and Co-Most Improved; Kindell Spiller, Academic All-HHC; Nash Grooms, Co-Rookie of the Year; Nathan Norris; Co-Rookie of the Year; Nathan Riley, Co-Most Improved; and Gibson, Malte Frenzel, Justin Robertson and Knight, school record, 3200 relay (8:27.84).
- Madison's boys golf program held its annual awards banquet recently and Jordan Griffith and Carson Wattenbarger were named the team's Co-MVP's for the 2013 season.
Griffith and Wattenbarger were both state finalists. Griffith also was receignized for All-Hoosier Hills Conference, All-State and as the sectional and regional medalist while Wattenbarger was also recognized as most improved, sectional runner-up and fourth place at regional.
Carson Cheatham, Dylan Bilz and Connor Keifer joined Griffith and Wattenbarger in being recognized as sectional team champions.
- George Leeth ran a 19:15 to win the Seventh Annual Englishton Park 5K Run/Walk recently with Trent Barnett finishing second in 19:41.
Sue Nckol was the top female runner with a time of 22:23.
A total of 75 participated in the event held on the grounds of Englishton Park in Lexington and through parts of Lexington and along Indiana Highway 203.
The top male walker was Charles Waller with a time of 33:01. The top female walkers was Vickie Conover in 42:40.
For more info about Englishton Park visit the website at www.englishtonpark.com.
- Hanover College's men's basketball program will hold its 47th annual boys basketball camp this month.
A Fundamental Skills camp will be held July 7-10. A Post/Perimeter Skills camp will be June 26-28.
Info and camp forms can be found at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps or by contacting mens basketball coach Jon Miller at (812) 866-7387 or email@example.com.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will host the British Soccer Camp July 22-26 in Madison.
Anyone interested in signing up for the camp can visit challengersports.com or call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484.
Forms also will be available at local businesses.
- The Walnut Street Fire Co.'s 21st Annual Golf Scramble will be held Sunday, July 21 at Sunrise Golf Course.
The cost is $160 per four-person team or $40 per person. Prizes will be awarded for the first three teams as well as for other individual feats.
To register, visit the Walnut Street Fire Co. in downtown Madison or the Sunrise Golf Course Pro Shop. For more info, call Karl Eaglin at (812) 273-1632, Duane Hadley (812) 273-5920, or Sunrise at (812) 265-8334.
- Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge is open to recreational fishing at 165-acre Old Timbers Lake on Mondays, Fridays and the second and fourth Saturdays of each month through November.
For more info, call the refuge office at (812) 273-0783 or visit the website www.fws.gov/refuge/big_oaks.
- The Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club will hold a series of fishing tournaments on the second Saturday of each month through August.
Each tournament runs from 6 a.m. to noon and will be held at the Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club Lake off County Road 933 between Deputy Pike and SR 250 in Deputy.
The entry fee is $10 and winner takes 50 percent. For more info call (812) 866-4616 or (812) 801-6314.
- The Hanover College Triple Crown Cross Country Racing Series will be held starting July 10.
The series, which will run July 10, July 17 and July 24 starting at 7 p.m., is designed to test fitness and sharpen summer training. Each week, the race distance will increase one kilometer, starting with a 3-kilometer race, moving to the 4K distance in the second week and ending with a 5K race.
The races will be held on Hanover College's nationally renowned cross country course, the site of the 2013 NCAA Division III National Championships. The course has also hosted the 2003 and 2008 NCAA Division III national championships as well as a number of conference and regional championships.
The cost is $5 per race. Pre-register for all three and receive a one of kind Triple Crown T-shirt on completion of the final race. Registration will begin at 6:15 p.m. on each race night.
For more info, contact Hanover coach Josh Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved