Courierarea Sports Shorts - March 12, 2013
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:00 AM
- Switzerland County's Austin Clark was one of 12 District 3 nominees for the IBCA/Subway Player of the Week for Week 18.
Clark was nominated along with Darryl Baker, Jeffersonville; Trey Bradley, Orleans; Micah Bullock, Barr-Reeve; Tanner Cassidy, Perry Central; Andrew Jones, Clarksville; JaQuan Lyle, Evansville Bosse; Bryant McIntosh, Greensburg; Trevor Selburg, Edgewood; Trent Smith, Jac-Cen-Del; and Skylar Thompson, Brownstown Central.
Nominees are also made in District 1 and District 2.
The three winners were Tipton senior Mike Crawford, who averaged 26.5 points over two games, including a game-winning hoop in a Class 2A regional final, along with Triton senior Clay Yeo and Linton senior Dess Fougerouss.
Yeo was recognized in District 1 after averaging 26.0 points and 7.0 rebounds in a pair of wins for Triton (19-5). Fougerousse averaged 24.0 points in earning District 3 accolades as Linton (23-3) claimed a Class 2A regional championship. Fougerousse opened with 22 points in a 65-62 win over Clarksville. He followed with 26 points and 12 rebounds as the Miners beat Perry Central 68-63 in the regional final.
- The Madison Booster Club will meet Thursday in the high school conference room at 6 p.m.
The club will be planning for spring sports. Anyone interested in helping all student athletes is welcome to attend.
- Shawe Memorial Junior/Senior High School is currently looking for coaches in junior high golf and junior high tennis.
Both seasons start in mid-March and anyone interested in either position should call Shawe Athletic Director Stephen Sims at (812) 273-2150, Ext. 229.
- Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club will offer a Fast-Pitch Softball Pitching Clinic from 4-5 p.m. on Fridays in the Beano Goodman gym.
The clinic is designed for girls ages 7-14 to learn the techniques and mechanics of pitching. The cost is $5 per participant per session.
Call the Club at (812) 265-5811 to make a reservation or stop by the Club at 1551 MSH Northgate Road.
- The Madison Parks Department now has applications available for the 2013 baseball and softball seasons for those ages seven to 15.
The participation fee is $50. Forms for those ages seven to 12 are due March 29. Forms for those ages 13-15 are due May 17.
Applications are being distributed to area schools. They are also available at the Madison Parks Department which is located in the Brown Gym and online at madisonparks.com.
For more information about the Rookie, Minor, Major and Upper baseball and softball leagues, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The 2013 Madison Parks Department Women's Summer Softball League will hold an organizational meeting on Tuesday, March 19.
The meeting will be held at the Historic Broadway Hotel & Tavern at 6 p.m. For more information call Scott at (812) 493-9840 or (812) 292-4282.
- The Spring Sprint annual 5K run & walk fundraiser for the Jefferson County Animal Shelter will be held April 6.
Registration forms are available at the shelter. The cost is $20 before March 15 and $25 after that date. T-shirts are only guaranteed for those registering before March 15.
The starting & ending location will be the shelter at 2727 Hannah Drive in Madison. The race will begin at 8 a.m. with registration beginning at 6:30 a.m. Leashed and well-behaved dogs are invited to participate with proof of rabies vaccination.
For more information call the shelter at (812) 273-1788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.