Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - March 21, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:00 AM
- Seven Hanover College winter sports athletes have earned academic all-conference honors from the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference.
The HCAC's Tom Bohlsen Academic All-Conference Award is presented to student-athletes who have completed the equivalent of at least one full academic year and have a cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 or higher.
The recipients include two men's basketball players - sophomore Kyle James, of Indianapolis, and senior Ryan Nowicki, of Westfield - as well as five members of the men's and women's indoor track and field teams including: Logan Wells, a sophomore from Scottsburg; Jennie Dumaine, a senior from California, Ky.; Janelle Lantz, a junior from Indianapolis; Maggie Noger, a senior from Lexington, Ky.; and Tricia Walsh, a sophomore from Amelia, Ohio.
The award is named for Bohlsen, a 1957 Hanover graduate who served as the Heartland Conference's first commissioner from 1998 to 2008.
- The Madison Booster Club will meet at 6 p.m. today in the high school conference room.
The club will be planning for spring sports. Anyone interested in helping all student athletes is welcome to attend.
- Madison Parks Department will hold an organizational meeting for its men's summer softball league on Thursday, March 28, at The Historic Broadway Hotel and Tavern.
The meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m.
The parks department is once again running the league with games to be played at John Paul Park. Anyone interested in fielding a team should have a representative at the meeting. The fee per team is $600.
For more information, call Scott at (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club will offer a Fast-Pitch Softball Pitching Clinic from 4-5 p.m. on Friday in the Beano Goodman Gym.
The clinic is designed for girls ages 7-14 to learn the techniques and mechanics of pitching. The cost is $5 for the session.
Call the Club at (812) 265-5811 to make a reservation or stop by the Club at 1551 MSH Northgate Road.
- The Madison Parks Department now has applications available for the 2013 baseball and softball seasons for those ages seven to 15.
The participation fee is $50.
Forms for those ages seven to 12 are due March 29. Forms for those ages 13-15 are due May 17.
Applications are being distributed to area schools. They are also available at the Madison Parks Department which is located in the Brown Gym and online at madisonparks.com.
For more information about Rookie, Minor, Major or Upper baseball and softball leagues, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The Spring Sprint annual 5K run & walk fundraiser for the Jefferson County Animal Shelter will be held April 6.
Registration forms are available at the shelter. The cost is $20 before March 15 and $25 after that date. T-shirts are only guaranteed for those registering before March 15.
The starting & ending location will be the shelter at 2727 Hannah Drive in Madison. The race will begin at 8 a.m. with registration beginning at 6:30 a.m. Leashed and well-behaved dogs are invited to participate with proof of rabies vaccination.
For more information, call the shelter at (812) 273-1788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved