Courierarea Sports Shorts - March 4, 2014
Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:00 AM
- Trimble County's Michael Dunaway and Dalton James have been named to the 29th District boys all-tournament team.
Trimble County lost to South Oldham 88-60 in the district semifinals.
- Hanover College Leah Kemmerer has been named the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference softball pitcher of the week.
Kemmerer, a junior from North Vernon, posted a 4-1 record in five appearances during Hanover's 10-game swing through Florida. She set a school single-game record with 16 strikeouts in a 3-0 win over Lyndon State.
Kemmerer finished the week allowing 19 hits and five earned runs with 35 strikeouts in 23.0 innings of work.
- The Madison Junior High swim team competed in a three-way meet with Switzerland County and South Ripley on Thursday.
Event winners for Madison were: Brandon Stewart, 100 IM, 1:13:78; Adam Norris, 50 free; 29:80; Dillon Ray, diving, 73.75; Beth Mahoney, 50 fly, 32:93; Alexis Bivens, 100 free, 1:08:64; and Ray, Bivens, Stewart and Mahoney, 200 free relay, 2:02:83.
- A junior high volleyball spring league is being formed for fifth through eighth graders to compete with other local teams.
All Madison girls interested in playing should attend a short informational meeting at the Madison Junior High school cafateria at 7 p.m. today.
For more info, call Madison varsity volleyball coach Jeff Lawson at (812) 701-4181.
- Shawe Memorial Junior-Senior High School is looking to fill a vacancy for varsity head volleyball coach for the 2014 season.
Anyone interested is asked to submit a resume and cover letter to the Shawe athletic office by e-mail to email@example.com or by fax to (812) 273-6694.
Resumes and letters can also be mailed to Shawe Memorial High School, 201 W. State St., Madison, IN 47250. For more information, call the athletic office at (812) 273-2150 ext. 229.
- The Madison Parks Department is currently accepting applications for summer baseball and softball.
Application deadlines are April 4 for ages seven through 12 and May 16 for ages 13 and 15. A player's age as of May 1 will determine what league he or she plays in.
Participation fee is $50. Applications are available at the Madison Parks Department's office located in the Brown Gym on Broadway Street. Applications can alos be found online at www.madisonparks.com and at area schools and businesses.
For more information call 812-265-8308 or 812-493-9840.
- The Madison-Jefferson County Animal Shelter will hold its third annual 5K Spring Sprint Walk/Run on Saturday, April 5.
Registration begins at 6:30 a.m. with the race beginning at 8 a.m. Early registration costs $20 if postmarked by March 15 but is $25 after. Funds collected will go towards the construction of a new shelter building.
An 18-mile bike ride hosted by the Madison Area Bicycle Club will also be held.
Registrations forms are available on our Facebook page or at the shelter.
Checks are payable to the Jefferson County Animal Shelter Building Fund.
This year the walk/run will allow leashed dogs to join the walkers and runners. Dogs must be current on rabies vaccinations and know how to behave around others.
Registration forms are available at the shelter or on the Madison Animal Shelter Facebook page. Forms and payment can be taken to the shelter or mailed to 2727 Hannah Drive, Madison, IN 47250.
- Madison Parks Department is now accepting quotes for the purchase of awards, hats, visors, T-shirts, basketball jerseys and football jerseys for its 2014 adult and youth sports seasons.
Prices quoted will be for the entire calendar year. Businesses interested in placing a quote should visit the Parks Department Office located in the Brown Gym on Broadway to pick up the necessary information.
All quotes must be received no later than Friday, March 21. For more information, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.