Courierarea Sports Shorts - March 9, 2013
Saturday, March 09, 2013 5:00 AM
- Madison's Olivia Crozier, Hannah Cain and Whitney Wynn have been named to the All-Hoosier Hills Conference Girls Basketball Team.
Crozier, a sophomore, was named to the All-HHC First Team while Cain and Wynn were honorable mention selections.
The rest of the All-HHC First Team is: Bedford North Lawrence's Dominique McBryde, Jenna Allen and Brittani Rizzi; New Albany's Tanner Marcum; Columbus East's Allyson Bunch; Jeffersonville's Haley Vogen; Seymour's Sidney Carr and Brianna Gillaspy; and Jennings County's Kirsten Biggs.
The rest of the honorable mentions were: Columbus East's Audrey Wetzel and Mikala Lomax; Floyd Central's Brooke Hinton; Jennings County's Baylee Krueger; Seymour's Logan Personett; Jeffersonville's Aurreeshae Hines; New Albany's Brianna Nixon; and Bedford North Lawrence's Alexa Bailey.
In addition, Crozier has been named an honorable mention selection to the 2013 Indiana Basketball Coaches Association/Subway Underclass All-State Team.
Notable players named to the Senior All-State Honorable Mention include: Jessie Davidson, Austin; Brianna Gillaspy, Seymour; Rachel Houck, Mt. Vernon (Fortville); Mikala Lomax, Columbus East; Tanner Marcum, New Albany; Shelby Merder, Jasper; Jenna Meyer, North Decatur; Alex Tinsley, Silver Creek; and Katie Wampler, Scottsburg.
Notables named to the Underclass All-State First Team include: Dominique McBryde, Bedford North Lawrence; and Erica Moore and Sydney Shelton, Mt. Vernon (Fortville).
Notables named to the Underclass All-State Honorable Mention were: Jenna Allen, Alexa Bailey and Sammy Dillman, Bedford North Lawrence; Allyson Bunch, Columbus East; Mackenzie Campbell and Sarah Cook, Rushville; Ashley Elliott, Scottsburg; Kaitlyn Henning, Charlestown; Brooke Hinton, Floyd Central; Ashley Johnson, New Washington; Maria Rothrock, Corydon Central; and Haley Vogen, Jeffersonville.
- Switzerland County's Austin Clark has selected to particpate in the 10th annual Indiana High School Boys Basketball Showcase presented by the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association and the IHSAA.
Clark, a junior, will take part in the event for the second-straight year. The purpose of the showcase is to allow college coaches to get to see some of the best players in the state during the NCAA contact period.
It is not yet known if any other local players were selected to particpate although Madison's Landon Perry took part last year.
- The Club Madison wrestling team traveled to Perry Meridian last Saturday and earned seven top six finishes.
Top finishers were: Zane Skinner, second, Pee Wee 55-pounds; Garrett Gatke, second, Bantam 65; Skylar Lee, third, Novice 112; Jacob Nicols, third, Schoolboy 136; Gabe Bennett, fourth, Schoolboy 128; Mitchell Sandlin, fourth, Junior 195; and Daunte O'Bannion, fifth, Novice 75.
- Shawe Memorial Junior/Senior High School is currently looking for coaches in junior high golf and junior high tennis.
Both seasons start in mid-March and anyone interested in either position should call Shawe Memorial Athletic Director Stephen Sims at (812) 273-2150, Ext. 229.
- The Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club will offer a Fast-Pitch Softball Pitching Clinic on Friday's from 4-5 p.m. in the Beano Goodman gymnasium.
The clinic is designed for girls ages 7-14 to learn the techniques and mechanics of pitching. The cost is $5 per participant per session.
Call the Club at (812) 265-5811 to make a reservation or stop by the Club at 1551 MSH Northgate Road.
- The Madison Parks Department now has applications available for the 2013 baseball and softball seasons for those ages seven to 15.
The participation fee is $50. Forms for those ages seven to 12 are due March 29. Forms for those ages 13-15 are due May 17.
Applications are being distributed to area schools. They are also available at the Madison Parks Department which is located in the Brown Gym and online at madisonparks.com.
For more information about the Rookie, Minor, Major and Upper baseball and softball leagues, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The 2013 Madison Parks Department Women's Summer Softball League will hold an organizational meeting on Tuesday, March 19.
The meeting will be held at the Historic Broadway Hotel & Tavern at 6 p.m. For more information call Scott at (812) 493-9840 or (812) 292-4282.
- The Spring Sprint annual 5K run & walk fundraiser for the Jefferson County Animal Shelter will be held April 6.
Registration forms are available at the shelter. The cost is $20 before March 15 and $25 after that date. T-shirts are only guaranteed for those registering before March 15.
The starting & ending location will be the shelter at 2727 Hannah Drive in Madison. The race will begin at 8 a.m. with registration beginning at 6:30 a.m. Leashed and well-behaved dogs are invited to participate with proof of rabies vaccination.
For more information call the shelter at (812) 273-1788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.