Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - May 11, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:00 AM
CAMP COMMUNICATION: Madison head coach Pat King (right) works with second and third grade basketball campers this week. The Cubs are offering two more camps this month. See details in Courierarea Sports Shorts. (Submitted photo)
- Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge is offering additional opportunities for fishing at Old Timbers Lake as well as hiking, bird watching and mushroom hunting today and Sunday from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
This weekend is also the last two days of turkey hunting at Big Oaks for 2013. Turkey hunters may come to the Big Oaks Refuge office as a walk-in this morning to see if any hunting slots remain. Call the refuge office at (812) 273-0783 or visit the website www.fws.gov/refuge/big_oaks for more information.
Recreational fishing is allowed in the 165-acre Old Timbers Lake from April through November on Mondays, Fridays and the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. There is a 30-boat limit on the lake.
- The Madison Cubs boys basketball team will hold its annual boys basketball camps throughout the month of May.
Camp will be held for grades four and five May 13-17, and grades six through eight May 20-24.
All sessions run 3:30-5 p.m. at the Madison High School gym. Cost of the camp is $25. Cash and checks are payable to Madison High School.
For more info, call Madison head coach Pat King at (812) 265-6672.
- The Just Breathe, Christopher's Second Wind Golf Scramble will be at 8 a.m. Saturday June 1 at Cardinal Hills Golf Course, Bedford, Ky.
The scramble is to benefit the family of Christopher Goodin, who Is awaiting a double lung transplant. All proceeds are to offset expenses not covered by insurance.
For more info, call Don Bowling (502) 7850-3610.
- The North Central Kentucky Conference coaches recently completed voting on their 2013 All-Conference Team for baseball and three players from Carroll County and two from Trimble made the 12-member team.
Jordan Tingle of Trimble County garnered 60 points to finish as runner-up to Owen County's Jarrod Ball for NCKC player of the year after Ball led the voting with 63 points.
Other All-Conference vote recipients and their totals are: Jared Dwyer, Walton-Verona, 44; Dillon Craig, Carroll County, 41; John Michael Adams, Carroll County, 39; Sonny Berry, Owen County, Aaron McClish, Henry County, and Wilfgang Davis, Walton-Verona, all with 33 points; Michael Dunaway, Trimble County, 22; Austin Dunn, Carroll County, 21; Travis Hearne, Owen County, 20; and Nolan Wilson, Gallatin County, 19.
- Hanover College's men's basketball program will hold its 47th annual boys basketball camp in June.
Fundamental Skills camp will hold two separate sessions June 9-12 and July 7-10. A Post/Perimeter Skills camp will be held June 26-28.
Information and camp forms can be found at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps or by contacting mens basketball coach Jon Miller at (812) 866-7387 or email@example.com.
- Lide White Boys and Girls Club will hold several camps and clinics this summer.
Football Academy camp is June 10-13. Cost is $40 for members and $50 for non-members. Session times will be announced at a later date.
The Bentz Wrestling Systems Summer Camp is June 17-21 for ages four through eighth grade. Ages four through second grade meet 1-2:30 p.m. while third through eighth grades meet 1-4 p.m. Cost is $30 for members and $40 for non-members.
A girls softball fast-pitch pitching clinic will be offered for girls grades three through eight. Cost is $5 per session.
Applications are available at the Lide White Boys and Girls Club or by calling (812) 265-5811.
- Shawe Memorial High School is hosting an alumni baseball game on Saturday, May 11 starting at 11 a.m.
Anyone interested in paying please RSVP to Phil Kahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 20th annual Madison Area Chamber of Commerce Golf Scramble will be May 18 at Sunrise Golf Course in Madison.
The cost is $320 per four-player team or $75 per individual. Registration begins at 11:30 a.m. on the day of the event with start time at 12:30 p.m. and lunch is provided.
Prizes go to the winner and runner-up as well as a third team selected by a drawing. For more info, call the Chamber at (812) 265-3135 or visit the website at www.madisonindiana.com.
- The Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club will hold a series of fishing tournaments on the second Saturday of each month through August.
Each tournament runs from 6 a.m. to noon and will be held at the Jefferson County Goodwill Conservation Club Lake off County Road 933 between Deputy Pike and SR 250 in Deputy.
The entry fee is $10 and winner takes 50 percent. For more info call (812) 866-4616 or (812) 801-6314.
- The Captain's Romp 5K Run & Walk sponsored by the Englishton Park Presbyterian Ministries will be held June 15.
Registration forms are available online at www.englishtonpark.com. Race cost is $17 by May 21 and $20 after that date. T-Shirts will be in limited supply on race day for $8.
Awards will be given to first and second place finishers in the overall male and female categories in both the run and walk events. Winners in each age group will receive medallions.
Sign-in for both races will begin at 7:15 a.m. and the races will begin at 8:15 a.m. on the grounds of Englishton Park. For more information contact Kristi Rowell at email@example.com.
- The Madison Parks Department is holding signups for its baseball and softball leagues for players ages 13-15.
The participation fee $50 and the deadline is May 17.
Applications have been distributed to area schools. They are also available at the Madison Parks Department, located in the Brown Gym, and online at madisonparks.com.
For more information about the Rookie, Minor, Major and Upper baseball and softball leagues, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The Carroll County Panther Boys Basketball camp will be held June 3-6 at Carroll County High School from 9 a.m. to noon.
The camp is for boys entering grades one through eight. The cost is $40 for pre-registration and $45 the first day of camp.
Fundamentals of the game of basketball, both individually and in a team setting, will be emphasized. The players will participate in teaching stations, lectures, competitions and games. Each participant will receive a camp T-shirt and certificate. Registration brochures are available at all of the Carroll County schools.
For more information, contact Carroll County coach Carroll Yager at (502) 732-6195 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved