Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - November 22, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Friday, November 22, 2013 10:00 AM
- The Shawe Memorial junior varsity and varsity boys basketball teams will hold their annual soap and towel game at 6 p.m. today.
Admission is donation of either shampoo, body wash, laundry detergent or towels. The team is in need of all of those products and greatly appreciates donations.
- Madison's junior varsity wrestling team opened the 2013-14 season with an 16-0 win over Batesville Thursday at home.
The Cubs won all three matches that were contested. Beau Turner scored a 6-0 win at 152 pounds, Logan Cassidy won his match at 170 pounds via pin in 3:21 and Corbin Hughes scored a pin in 1:59 at 195 pounds.
- Southwestern's jayvee girls basketball team lost to Salem 34-25 on Tuesday at home.
Nadia Moore and Kelsi Brierly scored seven points each for the Rebels.
Southwestern, now 0-3, travels to Jennings County tonight.
- Madison junior high boys basketball teams won their season openers Monday at South Dearborn.
The seventh grade defeated the Squires 42-19. Cooper Yancey and Hunter Anderson led Madison with 12 points each. Jon Montenko scored six and Zac Seib added five.
The eighth grade team won 39-36 in overtime. Connor Thurnall paced Madison with 16 points while Braydon Perry added 13 and Carson Howser had six.
- Southwestern and Shawe's junior high boys basketball teams split a pair of games on Monday.
Shawe won the seventh grade game 29-21. Tyler Kramer led the Hilltoppers with 12 points while Hunter Mefford had 10 and Matt Binzer chipped in five. Caleb Ream paced the Rebels with eight points and Talon Harmon scored six.
Southwestern won the eighth grade game 39-31. Christian Balboa and Coleman Jones reached double figures for the Rebels with 14 and 13 points, respectively, and Connor Skirvin added eight. Shawe was led by Schuyler Edwards' 12 points while Will Davis added 10. Hunter Mefford scored seven points and Axel Morales contributed on the defensive end.
- The schedule for the Ohio River Valley Conference Boys Basketball Jamboree has been set.
The event will be held at Jac-Cen-Del High School on Saturday, Nov. 23 at 1 p.m. Southwestern will face host J-C-D in the first quarter and Switzerland County in the second quarter. Switzerland will take in Rising Sun in quarter three. Shawe faces Rising Sun in the fourth quarter and South Ripley in the fifth. Milan and South Ripley meet in the sixth quarter and Milan and Jac-Cen-Del will play in the seventh.
Admission is $5.
- The Girls on the Run 5K Fun Run will be held Saturday at the Madison High School track.
The event starts at 10 a.m. The early bird cost is $15 and includes a long-sleeve shirt. The cost without a shirt or on race day is $10. Registration is 9-10 a.m. on race day.
To register online, visit www.kdhmadison.org. For more information, call (812) 801-0175.
- Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge is open to recreational fishing at 165-acre Old Timbers Lake on Mondays, Fridays and the second and fourth Saturdays of each month through this month.
For more info, call the refuge office at (812) 273-0783 or visit the website www.fws.gov/refuge/big_oaks.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
Message is a required field.
Captcha entry is not valid, please try again.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
Search only accepts letters and numbers.
© 2016 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved