Courierarea Sports Shorts - October 1, 2013
Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:00 AM
- Former Madison High School standout Zach Zehren and Hanover College's Tricia Walsh have been named Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference players of the week.
Zehren, who played quarterback at Madison and was a three-sport star for the Cubs, picked up the Defense award in football.
Zehren, a senior defensive back at Franklin College, had two interceptions, a fumble recovery and three tackles in Franklin's 80-14 dismantling of Earlham on Saturday. All three of his turnovers resulted in Grizzlie touchdowns.
Walsh, a junior forward from Amelia, Ohio, picked up the honor in women's soccer. Walsh came off the bench to score one goal and added a career-high three assists to spark the Hanover offense in the 9-0 win.
- Madison's junior varsity football team scored a 26-0 shutout win over New Albany on Thursday.
The Cubs got touchdowns runs from Reece Dryden and Chris Tingle and a TD pass from Chad Ison to Jake Bell. Logen Cassidy and Corbin Hughes each had two-point conversions and Hunter Stivers, Nathan Norris and Bryce Ford each had safeties.
Other big plays for the Cubs were a 55-yard interception return by Kyle Hazelwood, a 65-yard punt from Bell, and big hits by Bell, Gabe Stoll, Meikiah Kring and Dryden. Stivers and Santos Sifuentos each had sacks.
Madison, now 4-2 on the season, hosts Lawrenceburg on Oct. 10.
- Madison's junior varsity girls soccer team picked up a 3-2 win over Seymour at home on Monday.
Freshman Riley Boone scored all three goals for the Cubs to pick up the hat trick.
Madison hosts Floyd Central on Thursday.
- Shawe Junior High defeated Jac-Cen-Del 5-2 in soccer in its final home match of the season on Monday.
Nick Weatherbee scored four goals to lead the Hilltoppers and Skyler Short added a goal. Joseph Lisle and Carson Denton picked up assists.
- Trimble County Middle School and Elementary runners competed in the Trimble County Cross Country Invitational on Saturday.
In the girls middle school race, Zoey Yeakey was 29th in 23:41.1, Jasmine Davis was 36th in 25:12.7 and Makayla Flener was 37th in 28:04.8. Jacob Horn was 21st in 22:02.5 in the boys middle school race.
Eliza Weston was 25th in 16:30.7 in the girls elementary school race.
- The Lide White Boys and Girls Club is offering basketball leagues and little league wrestling this winter.
Basketball leagues will be offered for boys and girls, ages four through third grade and run Nov. 4 through Feb. 22.
Applications are due on Friday, Oct. 18. Cost is $40 for club members and $50 for non-club members. A $10 late feel will be assessed after the due date.
Little league wrestling is open to boys and girls, age 5 through sixth grade. Middle school wrestling members are not permitted to participate.
Applications are due by Jan. 15. The season runs from Jan. 1 through Feb. 26. Cost is $30 for club members and $40 for non-club members. A $10 late fee will be assessed if received after the due date.
Applications should be returned to the club by mail at P.O. Box 1128, Madison, IN 47250 or by dropping them off at 1551 M.S.H. Northgate Road, Madison, IN 47250.
For more info, contact Lide White at (812) 265-5811 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hanover College will host The Scenic: A 5K With a View on Saturday, Oct. 19.
Runners and walkers are welcome with awards given to the top runners in each age category.
Registration costs $15 before Oct. 16 and $20 on race day. Race day registration will take place from 7:30 a.m. until the time of the race. All proceeds will benefit the Hanover College Wellness Program.
To download a registration form, visit http://www.hanover.edu/about/events/scenic. For more info, contact Bill Tereshko at (812) 866-6750 or email@example.com.
- The Madison Basketball Club will hold third, fourth and fifth grade boys basketball team tryouts this month.
Third grade tryouts will be 6-7:30 p.m. on Oct. 22 and 24 at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call coach Kevin Orrill at (812) 599-0460 or Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Fourth grade tryouts will be 6-7:30 p.m. on Oct. 21 and 23 at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call coach Josh Scroggins at (812) 599-0460 or Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Cost to tryout for either team is $60 per player and must be paid before player can try out. Money will be refunded if the player is not chosen for the team.
- The Southwestern High School pool is currently holding open swim on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays weekly from 7-9 p.m.
The cost is $1. Students must be 14 and over to attend open swim without an adult. All children under 14 must have an adult stay in the pool area the entire time the child is in the pool.