Courierarea Sports Shorts - October 23, 2012
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:00 AM
- Four members of Southwestern's conference-winning volleyball team have been named to the All-Ohio River Valley Conference team in voting by league coaches.
Sarah Anderson, Savannah Hubbard, Karli Long and Lexi Means were all selected from Southwestern which went undefeated in the ORVC and won the sectional title last week. Coach Chris Johnson was named the ORVC Coach of the Year.
Shawe's Kalyn Robison was also selected to the team.
The rest of the All-ORVC team is: Rising Sun's Ali Bostic and Bailee Bostic; South Ripley's Rachel Hensley and Allie Linkmeyer; Jac-Cen-Del's Shelbie Huffmeyer; and Milan's Kayla Peetz, Shelby Ross and Shelby Tippett.
Ali Bostic was also named the conference's mental attitude award winner.
- Hanover College's Dexter Britt has been named the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference's offensive football player of the week for the third time this season.
Britt, a junior quarterback from Louisville's Male, completed 17 of his 29 passes for 210 yards and five touchdowns against Defiance, the league's previously top ranked defense.
Hanover (5-2, 5-0 HCAC) hosts Earlham at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- Columbus North's Andy Carr finished 12th in the Brown County Cross Country Semistate in a time of 15:58.
Carr ran third for his seventh-ranked and three-time defending state champion North squad. North won the semistate team title with a score of 62 points.
Carr is the grandson of former Madisonian Andy Taff. He is the son of Candy Taff and John Carr of Columbus.
- Hanover College's women's rugby team picked up the first win in its four-year history with a 43-0 victory over Earlham on Saturday.
Carrie Knauer had a hat trick with three trys and also added two conversion kicks. Taylor Forsyth had two trys, Alex Forward and Libby Bower had one try each.
In the B-side game, Hanover lost to an Earlham squad supplemented by several Hanover A-side players by a 27-10 score. Hanover trys were scored by Madeline Ashby and Hannah Palmer.
Hanover hosts Earlham on Nov. 4 at 1 p.m.
- Hanover College's men's rugby team fell to Earlham 29-5 on Saturday.
Spencer Hadley had a tough run down the left sideline to tie the score at 5-5 for the Panthers' lone score.
Hanover visits DePauw on Nov. 3.
- The Madison Booster Club will meet today in the high school conference room at 6 p.m.
All meetings are open to the public. Anyone interested in helping all student athletes are welcome to attend.
- Madison Parks Department is currently looking for volunteers to coach Little League Basketball for boys and girls in fourth, fifth and sixth grades.
A coaches meeting is set for 6 p.m. on Wednesday at the Brown Gym for anyone interested in coaching.
All coaches for the Madison Parks Department must have a background check on file and be able to attend a coaches clinic. For more info, call Scott Davidson at (812) 493-9840 or (812) 265-8308.
- Southwestern's booster club will hold a girls basketball soap and towel game on Friday, Nov. 2 at Delbert O. King Gym in Hanover.
The night will begin with a chili supper at 5 p.m. with the game to begin at 6:30 p.m. The scrimmage will include the 2012-13 vardity and junior varisty teams under new head coach Kenny Garrett. Admission is a bar of soap, bottle of shampoo, a towel (preferably white) or Tide wash detergent.
- The Madison area Special Olympics bowling tournament will be held in Clarksville on Saturday, Nov. 10.
Practices will be held at Madison's Ten Pin Alley this Thursday, Thursday, Nov. 1 and Thursday, Nov. 8. All practices are from 3:30-5 p.m.
New Special Olympics athletes who wish to attend the tournament must attend a practice no later than this week in order to register.
- The Madison Basketball Club will be holding tryouts for its sixth grade boys basketball team this weekend.
Tryouts will be at E.O. Muncie on Saturday from 9-10:30 a.m. and on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Any sixth grade boy interested in playing in the upcoming season needs to be at the tryouts. To be eligible to play for the Madison Basketball Club, the player must be enrolled in a Madison Consolidated School. The cost to tryout is $60. The fee must be paid before the player is allowed to tryout. If the player is not chosen to the team, all money will be refunded.
For more information, contact Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
- Southwestern Youth Basketball League is currently taking applicants for this year's season beginning Saturday.
A workout is scheduled for Saturday to evaluate players and form teams. There will be a league for second and third grade boys and a league for fourth and fifth grade boys. The second-third grade workout is from 1-2:30 p.m. on Saturday and the workout for fourth-fifth grade is 2:30 -4 p.m. that day.
The approximate cost to participate in the league is $35. For more info call Andy Firth at (812) 866-1114.
- Hanover College will hold its annual 5K - The Scenic: A 5K With A View - for both runners and walkers on Saturday on campus.
Runners and walkers are welcome with awards given to overall top runners in age categories.
The cost is $15 if paid by today and $20 for day-of-race registration. Race day registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. with the race beginning at 8:30 a.m. T-shirts are guaranteed to all pre-registered runners and walkers and all proceeds from the race benefit the Hanover College Wellness Program.
To download a registration form go to: http://www.hanover.edu/about/events/scenic or call Bill Tereshko at (812) 866-6750 or e-mail him at email@example.com.
- The Hoosier Hills Otters swim club will hold registration and swimmer assessments on Thursday, Nov. 1 and Friday, Nov. 2 from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Madison Junior High pool.
New swimmers must bring a copy of the their birth certificate, a swim suit and a towel.
For more information, visit the team's website at www.teamunity.com.inhho or the team's Facebook page.
- Madison Parks & Recreation Department is accepting applicants for its fourth, fifth and sixth grade boys and girls little league basketball programs now through Nov. 2.
The participation fee is $50 per player with a $20 late fee after Nov. 2. Practice starts the week of Nov. 12 and play begins the week of Dec. 10.
For more info, call the parks department at (812) 265-8308.