Courierarea Sports Shorts - October 24, 2012
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:00 AM
- The Hanover College Dance Team is offering Hip Hop/Jazz dance lessons for local girls ages 7-12 on Sundays from 4-5 p.m. with one of the team members.
For more information and to sign up for the classes please contact Marissa Disbrow at email@example.com.
- Madison Parks Department is currently looking for volunteers to coach Little League Basketball for boys and girls in fourth, fifth and sixth grades.
A coaches meeting is set for 6 p.m. today at the Brown Gym for anyone interested in coaching.
All coaches for the Madison Parks Department must have a background check on file and be able to attend a coaches clinic. For more info, call Scott Davidson at (812) 493-9840 or (812) 265-8308.
- Southwestern's booster club will hold a girls basketball soap and towel game on Friday, Nov. 2 at Delbert O. King Gymnasium in Hanover.
The night will begin with a chili supper at 5 p.m. with the game to begin at 6:30 p.m. The scrimmage will include the 2012-13 varsity and junior varsity teams under new head coach Kenny Garrett. Admission is a bar of soap, bottle of shampoo, a towel (preferably white) or Tide laundry detergent.
- The Madison area Special Olympics bowling tournament will be held in Clarksville on Saturday, Nov. 10.
Practices will be held at Madison's Ten Pin Alley this Thursday, Thursday, Nov. 1 and Thursday, Nov. 8. All practices are from 3:30-5 p.m.
New Special Olympics athletes who wish to attend the tournament must attend a practice no later than this week in order to register.
- The Madison Basketball Club will be holding tryouts for its sixth grade boys basketball team this weekend.
Tryouts will be at E.O. Muncie on Saturday from 9-10:30 a.m. and on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Any sixth grade boy interested in playing in the upcoming season needs to be at the tryouts. To be eligible to play for the Madison Basketball Club, the player must be enrolled in a Madison Consolidated School. The cost to tryout is $60. The fee must be paid before the player is allowed to tryout. If the player is not chosen to the team, all money will be refunded.
For more information, contact Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
- Southwestern Youth Basketball League is currently taking applicants for this year's season beginning Saturday.
A workout is scheduled for Saturday to evaluate players and form teams. There will be a league for second and third grade boys and a league for fourth and fifth grade boys. The second-third grade workout is from 1-2:30 p.m. on Saturday and the workout for fourth-fifth grade is 2:30 -4 p.m. that day.
The approximate cost to participate in the league is $35.
For more information call Andy Firth at (812) 866-1114.
- Hanover College will hold its annual 5K - The Scenic: A 5K With A View - for both runners and walkers on Saturday on campus.
Runners and walkers are welcome with awards given to overall top runners in age categories.
The cost is $15 if paid by Tuesday and $20 for day-of-race registration. Race day registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. with the race beginning at 8:30 a.m. T-shirts are guaranteed to all pre-registered runners and walkers and all proceeds from the race benefit the Hanover College Wellness Program.
To download a registration form go to: http://www.hanover.edu/about/events/scenic or call Bill Tereshko at (812) 866-6750 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Hoosier Hills Otters swim club will hold registration and swimmer assessments on Thursday, Nov. 1 and Friday, Nov. 2 from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Madison Junior High pool.
New swimmers must bring a copy of the their birth certificate, a swim suit and a towel.
For more information, visit the team's website at www.teamunity.com.inhho or the team's Facebook page.
- Madison Parks & Recreation Department is accepting applicants for its fourth, fifth and sixth grade boys and girls little league basketball programs now through Nov. 2.
The participation fee is $50 per player with a $20 late fee after Nov. 2. Practice starts the week of Nov. 12 and play begins the week of Dec. 10.
Applications will be in local schools starting today or by visiting www.madisonparks.com. For more information, call the Madison Parks Department at (812) 265-8308
- Fast pitch softball group lessons for hitting, defense, and pitching are forming soon. Group lessons will be held on Sunday afternoon and space is limited.
For more information, call Kevin Brierly at (812) 866-3098 or (513) 594-9903.
- The Southwestern High School pool is now open to the public for fitness swim and water aerobics.
Fitness Swim is Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7-9 p.m. at a cost of $1. Water Aerobics is on Wednesdays from 7-8 p.m. and costs $2.
Children 14 and under must be accompanied by an adult, and if you bought a swim pass last year that still has punches, it is good for this year also.
- Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club will offer fall wrestling and a six-week pitchers clinic for fast pitch softball.
The Club will also offer a Fall Wrestling Program for boys and girls in kindergarten through grade six. Practice will be held in a two week type camp, Nov. 5-8 and Nov. 12-15 on Mondays through Thursdays. The cost is $30 for members and $40 for non-members and applications are available at the Club and will be available at local elementary schools.
There will be a special "Red Alert Invitational" on Sunday, Nov. 18 at the Madison Consolidated High School Matroom with additional teams participating and the Madison coaching staff and wrestlers assisting.
And finally, the Club will offer a Girls Softball Fast Pitch Clinic for age 8 through 18. The Clinic will meet on Wednesdays from 4-5 p.m. at the Club from Sept. 5 through Oct. 10. The cost is $30 for the six-week clinic and includes a special T-shirt or participants may pay $5 per session without receiving the T-shirt. Applications are available at the Club and will be available at local elementary, junior & senior high schools.
For additional information on any of these programs, call the Club at (812) 265-5811.