Courierarea Sports Shorts - October 3, 2013
Thursday, October 03, 2013 11:00 AM
- Switzerland County junior varsity volleyball beat Shawe 25-20, 25-17 on Tuesday.
EmaLee Copeland went 18-for-21 passing and 14-of-15 attacking with three digs and one kill for Shawe. Bailey Wolf was 33-of-39 passing with two digs and one kill block.
- Southwestern junior varsity volleyball defeated New Washington 25-23, 25-22 on Tuesday.
Amber Morrison was 10-for-11 serving with three aces, three kills and three blocks and Jordyn McNally was 9-for-9 serving and 55-for-57 setting with 12 assists. Elizabeth Scianni and Zaynah Watson combined for 10 kills.
- The Jefferson County Futbol Club will hold a meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 22 to discuss the upcoming indoor soccer season.
The meeting is open to all prospective players and parents and will be held in the Madison Consolidated High School cafeteria.
- Switzerland County freshman football lost to South Decatur's junior varsity 20-6 in their final regular season game on Monday.
The Pacers' lone score came in the second quarter when Hunter Hayes found Casper Stow in the front corner of the end zone.
- The Madison Parks Department is accepting Little League Basketball forms for the upcoming 2013-2014 season.
Boys and girls in grades 4-6 can participate. Forms are due on Nov. 1 and the cost is $50 per player. Forms are available at the Madison Parks Department Office and at all area schools or can be printed off at www.madisonparks.com.
For more information call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The New Palestine cross country team that won the boys race at the 2013 Madison Courier Invitational Saturday and finished as the runner-up in the girlsa race at Hanover College has a local connection in its coaching ranks.
Former Southwestern standout runner and school record holder Chuck Meyers is an assistant coach at New Palestine.
Meyers is a 1993 graduate of Southwestern who went on to run at Ball State University. He currently works as a CPA in an accounting firm in Southport.