Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - September 18, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:00 AM
- Southwestern varsity volleyball received the American Volleyball Coaches Association team academic award for the second straight year.
The award recognizes teams that maintain a 3.3 team cumulative GPA for the entire school year.
The Rebels maintained a 3.64 GPA for the 2012-2013 school year.
- Former Madison golf standout Brandon Tereshko earned all-tourney honors at The Battle of Blackthorn in South Bend this past weekend.
Tereshko, a senior at Taylor University, finished fourth out of 71 golfers, shooting a 75 on Friday and a 72 on Saturday.
Tereshko totaled 13 birdies throughout the two-day event.
- Hanover College junior Brooke McKay, was named Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference women's golfer of the week for the third time this season.
McKay, of Carmel, won the Manchester In vitational Saturday, helping the Panthers to win the invitational team title.
- Shawe's Cameron Rampy and Southwestern's Karli Long and Coleman Jackson have been named Ohio River Valley Conference players of the week.
Rampy and Jackson shared ORVC boys soccer player of the week honors with Jac-Cen-Del's Blake Straub. Rampy scored five goals and had two assists in two games. Jackson collected eight goals and an assist in three games.
Long was named the co-ORVC volleyball player of the week with Rising Sun's Alix DeDreu. Long led the Rebels last week with 90 percent hitting, 93 percent serving, 96 percent passing, 58 kills, 19 digs, and five aces.
- Madison junior varsity football defeated Jeffersonville 20-0 on Saturday.
Offensively, Reece Dryden and Chad Ison each scored on a touchdown run.
On the defensive side, Hunter Stivers returned an interception for a score, Dryden added an interception and Mikiah Kring picked up a safety.
Kring, Jake Bell, and Corbin Hughes were credited with big hits.
Madison (2-2) visits Jennings County on Saturday
- Madison junior varsity volleyball defeated Scottsburg 25-23, 25-10 on Tuesday.
The Cubs are now 7-1 on the season.
- Shawe's junior high boys cross country team ran in the Christian Academy Invitational on Tuesday.
Ethan Goebel won an 18th place medal with a time of 11:41. Zayne Love earned was 45th in 13:01. The Hilltoppers did not have enough runners to qualify for a team score.
- Shawe junior varsity volleyball fell to Austin 25-8, 25-21 at home on Tuesday.
EmaLee Copeland was 7-of-8 attacking and 5-of-7 serving with one ace. Carson Hambrick was 8-of-8 setting and 7-of-8 passsing with two digs.
- Southwestern junior varsity volleyball defeated Milan 25-23, 25-17 at home on Tuesday.
Kelsi Brierly was 10-for-10 serving with eight aces and three kills. Jordyn McNally was 41-for-41 setting with seven assists and Zaynah Watson added three kills.
The Rebels lost 25-13, 25-18 on Monday at Trinity Lutheran. McNally was 49-for-51 setting with three assists and Amber Morrison had seven kills.
Southwestern is now 5-8 and 2-1 in the Ohio River Valley Conference.
- Madison junior varsity boys tennis defeated Oldenburg Academy 4-0 at home on Monday.
Results were: Singles - No. 1 Austin Brady (M) d. Tanner Alley (OA) 8-1; No. 2 Ben Cutshall (M) d. Peter Weisbrod (OA) 8-0; No. 3 Christian Brown (M) d. Tanner Alley (OA) 7-6 (2); Doubles - No. 1 Kenny Higbie and Jakob Jones (M) d. Jacob Preston and Jacob Knapp (OA) 8-3.
- Shawe junior high soccer played Jennings County to a 2-2 tie on Monday.
Nick Weatherbee scored both Shawe goals and Grant Sugget led the defensive effort.
- Southwestern Middle School soccer won the Switzerland County Invitational on Saturday.
The Rebels defeated Shawe in the first game 7-1 and Jacob Anderson and Adam Anderson each recorded a hat trick. Taylor Cole scored the other Southwestern goal.
In the championship game, Southwestern beat Switzerland County 5-1 as Jacob Anderson and Coleman Jones scored two goals each and Connor Skirvin added one goal.
- The Lide White Boys and Girls Club is offering basketball leagues and little league wrestling this winter.
Basketball leagues will be offered for boys and girls, ages four through third grade and run Nov. 4 through Feb. 22.
Applications are due on Friday, Oct. 18. Cost is $40 for club members and $50 for non-club members. A $10 late feel will be assessed after the due date.
Little league wrestling is open to fifth and sixth grade boys and girls. Middle school wrestling members are not permitted to partcipate.
Applications are due by Jan. 15. The season runs from Jan. 1 through Feb. 26. Cost is $30 for club members and $40 for non-club members. A $10 late fee will be assesed if received after the due date.
Applications should be returned to the club by mail at P.O. Box 1128, Madison, IN 47250 or by dropping them off at 1551 M.S.H. Northgate Road, Madison, IN 47250.
For more info, contact Lide White at (812) 265-5811 or email email@example.com.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved