Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Doha produces 4 winners, 2 crashes
Courier Sports Staff
Monday, February 11, 2013 10:00 AM
The Miss Peters & May goes up and over the Snoqualmie Casino during Heat 2A. Peters and May driver Tom Thompson suffered a broken arm but Snoqualmie driver Brian Perkins escaped injury. (H1 Unlimited onboard and aerial photos)
Four different drivers claimed preliminary heat victories on day two of the H1 Unlimited Oryx Cup UIM World Championships in Doha, Qatar, on Saturday.
Steve David, Jon Zimmerman, Kip Brown and Jimmy Shane each scored wins on a day that saw two different race collisions between boats.
Tom Thompson and Brian Perkins were involved in the most scary incident of the day. Thompson, in the Miss Peters & May, caught air and landed on the canopy of Perkins' Snoqualmie Casino boat on the second lap of Heat 2A.
The Peters & May had its right sponson sheared off in the incident while the Snoqualmie Casino sustained enough damage to force it to withdraw.
Thompson broke his arm in the crash and spent the night in a Doha hospital. Perkins was uninjured, but was left shaken by the incident.
"I saw him (Thompson) coming towards me at speed from the inside and there was nothing I could do to get out of the way," said Perkins.
Zimmerman ran away with the win in the restart of the Heat 2A, his second heat win of the weekend.
"My crew chief doesn't smile that often and it was great to put a smile on his face," joked Zimmerman.
David was handed victory in Heat 2B when Shane was penalized for making contact with David's Oh Boy! Oberto in the final turn of what was a thrilling three-lap, deck-to-deck duel.
"He hooked in, moved out, just clipped me and got a penalty," David said afterwards.
Brown, who was penalized one lap for jumping the gun in 2A, ran away with the win in Heat 3A with a terrific start aboard the Spirit of Qatar. Shane, who wrestling the inside lane away from David in both prelimis, then held on to beat David by one boat-length in Heat 3B.
After three preliminary heats, David holds leads the points standings with 1,100 points. Zimmerman has 1,025 points and Shane is third with 925.
The final set of preliminary heats will be on Tuesday starting at 5 a.m. EST. The final heat is cheduled to be run at 7 a.m.
H1 UNLIMITED ORYX CUP UIM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Doha Bay, Doha, Qatar
Length: 2 miles
Saturday, Feb. 9
1. Jon Zimmerman, 9 Miss Red Dot, 132.022; 2. J. Michael Kelly, 37 Miss Beacon Plumbing, 119.574; 3. Kip Brown, 95 Spirit of Qatar, 121.864.* Brian Perkins, 21 Snoqualmie Casino, DNF; Tom Thompson, 11 Miss Peters & May, DSQ.
*-penalized one lap for jumping the gun.
1. Steve David, 1 Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison, 138.948; 2. N. Mark Evans, 57 Fedco, 104.838; 3. Jimmy Shane, 5 Graham Trucking, 100.391*; Ryan Mallow, 100 Miss Fox Plumbing, DNF.
*-penalized one minute for encroachment.
1. Kip Brown, 95 Spirit of Qatar, 130.673; 2. J. Michael Kelly, 37 Miss Beacon Plumbing, 116.304; 3. N. Mark Evans, 57 Fedco, 109.932; Ryan Mallow, 100 Miss Fox Plumbing, DNS.
1. Jimmy Shane, 5 Graham Trucking, 138.406; 2. Steve David, 1 Oh Boy! Oberto, no speed available; 3. Jon Zimmerman, 9 Miss Red Dot, no speed available.
CURRENT RACE POINTS TOTALS
1. Steve David, 1 Oh Boy! Oberto, 1,100; 2. Jon Zimmerman, 9 Jones Racing, 1,025; 3. Jimmy Shane, 5 Graham Trucking, 925; 4. J. Michael Kelly, 37 Beacon Plumbing, 900; 5. Kip Brown, 95 Spirit of Qatar, 794; 6. N. Mark Evans, 57 Fedco, 750; 7. Brian Perkins, 21 Snoqualmie Casino, 225; 8. Ryan Mallow, 100 Miss Fox Plumbing, 169; 9. Tommy Thompson, 11 Miss Peters & May, 0.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved