With nice weather forecast for the weekend, it's a good time to start that New Year's resolution to clean out the house and garage - and get a head start on spring cleaning.

Much of what is pulled out of closets, off shelves and out of cupboards can be recycled, so before tossing it into a garbage bag, consider whether it can be reused or recycled.

The most common household recyclables - plastics, paper, glass and metal food and beverage cans - are accepted by those who pick up or receive recyclable materials from residents of Madison, Hanover, Jefferson County, Milton, Bedford, Trimble County, Carrollton and Carroll County.

All of them accept plastics numbered from 1 through 7.

Although a hand-out from the city of Madison and the city's website say that only No. 1 and No. 2 plastics are accepted, the information has been outdated for quite a while. Madison Recycling Center's acceptance of all plastics was confirmed Friday with owner Bob Mustafa.

The city takes recyclable materials it picks up every other week to Madison Recycling Center.

City residents can take their recyclables themselves to the recycling center, 3535 Shun Pike. It accepts the same things the city picks up, bagged in clear plastic - or bundled in the case of cardboard. The center is open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday.

The center is a privately owned business that pays cash for some items the city will not pick up, such as brass, copper and aluminum including wire, radiators, castings, transmissions, extrusions, storm windows and doors, aluminum siding, hub caps, structural steel, cast iron tubs, heavy steel, sheet iron, automobiles, trucks, semi trailers and trucks, heavy equipment and metal buildings. Call (812) 525-4970 for prices and information.

Scrap metal, brass, copper, aluminum and other disposables also can be sold at Recycle, Reduce, Reuse next to 3105 Clifty Drive. It is open from noon to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, from noon to 4:30 p.m. Friday and by appointment Sunday. Call (812) 599-0040 for prices.

Junk cars, appliances and other items also can be taken to a junkyard at 1469 W. Hutchinson Lane.

All Jefferson County residents also can take recyclable materials to the Southeastern Indiana Sold Waste District at Jefferson Proving Ground. It is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday.

The street the district is on is closed due to a broken culvert, so to get there motorists should go through the main gate on U.S. 421 and drive about three-fourths of a mile to a stop sign, ignoring signs directing them to turn onto the street that is closed. At the stop sign, turn right, and almost immediately turn right again at a utility pole, go over the railroad tracks and take the first right. There will be another stop sign. Turn right there. The district is in a gray building.

The district's website, www.siswd.com, lists more than 350 items and whether each can be recycled or should be put in the trash.

Residents of Jefferson County outside Madison and Hanover can take their recycling when they take their trash to one of the drop-off sites in the townships, where Linkel Co. stations a truck one day a week at each site. Residents must have a $30 trash card available from the county auditor's office in order to drop of garbage or recycling.

In Carroll County, Ky., bins open to the public are available at Arkema. Rumpke picks up the recycling binds.

Curbside pick-up of recyclables by Rumpke is available in Carrollton.

For residents of Trimble County, Milton and Bedford, recycling bins open to the public are available at Milton City Hall, the Trimble County Extension office and the landfill.

Kristen Snyder and Seth Grundhoefer contributed to this story.