Two people remain in jail after their arrests last week on drug charges following a traffic stop on Clifty Drive.

Timothy E. Hancock, 34, of Commiskey, faces a Level 6 felony count of possession of methamphetamine and misdemeanor counts of driving while suspended and possession of paraphernalia.

Janee K. Short, 30, of Carrollton, Ky., faces Level 6 felony count of unlawful possession of hypodermic syringes or needles and possession of methamphetamine. She also was arrested on an active warrant for a Kentucky parole violation.

Prosecutors filed charges against the two people Wednesday morning in Jefferson Superior Court.

Madison Police Patrolman Phillip Wimpee noticed Hancock, a man he knew to have a suspended driver’s license, getting into the driver’s seat of a vehicle at a gas station on Clifty Drive. The officer saw Hancock drive the vehicle out of the parking lot and turn onto Clifty Drive.

Wimpee made the traffic stop in the 1500 block of Clifty Drive. During the stop, Hancock admitted he knew his license was still suspended, but he told the officer he was just trying to move the car to a relative’s house and indicated the residence was the driveway in which he was stopped. Wimpee noted in the probable cause affidavit the vehicle was registered to a person who lived at the address.

While checking the identifications of other people in the vehicle, Wimpee found the passenger – Janee K. Short – had a warrant for a parole violation out of Kentucky.

The officer placed both Hancock and Short under arrest. Hancock later consented to a search of the vehicle, and Short consented to a search of the items on her person.

During the search, officers located a black zip-up bag under the driver’s seat that contained a red bandana wrapped around a glass pipe containing a white powdery substance that field tested positive for methamphetamine, the affidavit stated.

Short admitted to having two needles with methamphetamine in them on her person.

Police transported both people to the Jefferson County Jail.

Hancock and Short appeared for separate initial hearings Thursday afternoon in Jefferson Superior Court. Both entered preliminary pleas of not guilty to the charges during the hearings.

Hancock and Short remain incarcerated at the jail following Thursday’s hearing.