The First You Medical Center in Bedford, Ky., where Lora Cable was fatally shot, remains closed until Feb. 21. (Staff photo by Renee Bruck/
The First You Medical Center in Bedford, Ky., where Lora Cable was fatally shot, remains closed until Feb. 21. (Staff photo by Renee Bruck/
Flowers and a note have replaced the crime scene tape that blocked off a Bedford, Ky., medical center Tuesday after an ex-boyfriend allegedly opened fire on a woman while she was working at the location.

On Wednesday, a note on the door of First You Medical Center on Alexander Avenue explained the center was closed “due to the loss of our beloved coworker” and won’t reopen until Feb. 21.

The center’s receptionist, Lora Cable, was fatally shot after police believe 45-year-old Timothy Riddle of Milton entered the medical office, fired a weapon several times and struck Cable as she sat at the front desk.

Kentucky State Police troopers responded to reports of a shooting at the medical office around 11:45 a.m.

Cable, 38, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Trimble County coroner.

Riddle left the area following the shooting, but was found about six hours later on Sulphur-Bedford Road. A man who works on a nearby farm saw Riddle’s car in a field about two miles from the scene of the shooting.

The man talked with Riddle and contacted police around 6:12 p.m. Police took Riddle into custody about 10 minutes after the man called 911 and later arrested Riddle on a preliminary charge of murder.

Although the arrest brought an end to the hours-long manhunt in Trimble County, the Valentine’s Day shooting still left a small community looking for answers to a crime that rarely happens there.

Those who knew her describe Cable as someone who never met a stranger. She enjoyed singing, taking photographs of Cable Hollow where she lived and being with family and friends.

Cable and Riddle had been in a relationship when they formerly worked at The Madison Courier between 2012 and 2014, but that relationship ended sometime after Cable resigned to take the job at the You First Medical Center.

Trimble County court documents show the relationship had been abusive in the past.

Cable recently attempted to protect herself from her ex-boyfriend by filing a protective order against Riddle, citing prior domestic violence as early as 2012. The order noted the two were unmarried but had lived together at one time.

A judge granted and signed the protective order on Monday – the day before Riddle allegedly walked into Cable’s workplace with a gun and shot her. The order was supposed to restrain Riddle from committing future acts of abuse, threats of abuse, stalking or sexual assault and ordered Riddle to refrain from “any unlawful contact” with Cable.

But the protective order did not keep the two from having contact with one another. 

Kentucky State Police Trooper Josh Lawson, a spokesman for Post 5 in Campbellsburg, said that isn’t unusual. Judges often grant requests made by the petitioner of the order, and some petitioners still want to have contact with the person who they file the protective order against.

The protective order between Cable and Riddle was to be in effect until December.

Additional charges could be added due to the violation of the protective order or other information learned during the ongoing investigation.

Riddle remains in jail at the Carroll County Detention Center in Carrollton, Ky., on a $1 million cash-only bond. An arraignment hearing in the case is set for Tuesday in Trimble County District Court.