A U.S. Marine who died 70 years ago during World War II combat will finally be laid to rest next weekend in the Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Madison.

The service for Pfc. Manley F. Winkley will begin at 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, at the Veterans Cemetery. Winkley's remains will be transported from the Bond Mitchell Funeral Home in Nashville, Ind. Winkley will be escorted by the Patriot Guard Riders, Rolling Thunder and Indiana State Police, along with local public safety agencies.

Winkley was born in Indianapolis on Sept. 17, 1923. He enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps on Dec. 12, 1942, and was assigned to Company B 1st Battalion 2nd Marine Division.

Winkley and his battalion were ordered to secure the Tarawa Atoll in the Gilbert Island chain in 1943. It is estimated more than 1,000 Marines died in the battle, including Winkley. He was killed in action on Nov. 20, 1943. He was 20 years old.

In 1946, the U.S. Army Graves Registration Service attempted to locate and exhume the remains of those who died during the battle. Not everyone was found.

On Oct. 29, 2012, a joint POW/MIA accounting team led an expedition in the Republic of Kiribati where it located the remains of three bodies from the Tarawa Islands.

One of the bodies was positively identified as Winkley on April 2.

Alan Burnham, superintendent of the Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery, said military rites will be given to Winkley at the cemetery. There will be no services in Nashville.

Lyman M. Winkley, Manley Winkley's nephew, will also be buried during the ceremony and will be located next to his uncle.

Lyman Winkley was born in Indianapolis on Feb. 11, 1927. He enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps on Dec. 11, 1944, after the death of his uncle, who was his hero growing up.

He served with the 3rd Division and was honorably discharged as a corporal on May 28, 1947. His military records from World War II were destroyed in a fire, so it is unknown where he served.

Lyman Winkley re-enlisted into the Marines on Aug. 24, 1950. He was with the 1st Marine Division during the Battle of Chosin Reservoir.

He was wounded in Yo-Dong, Korea, on March 22, 1951, and was wounded a second time on April 25, 1951, in Central Korea. He received a Korean Service Medal with one bronze service star and Purple Heart with one gold star. He was honorably discharged on Sept. 4, 1951.

Lyman Winkley died on Aug. 29, 1998. He was cremated, but the family hadn't decided what to do with his remains.

After Manley Winkley's remains were identified, the family knew it would be appropriate to bury the two men together.

"Now he's going to be able to be laid to rest next to his uncle, who he idolized," Burnham said.

Burnham hopes members of the public can show support for the Manley family by lining the roads leading to the Veterans Cemetery.