A Madison man has been arrested following the stabbing of three men in the downtown area late Friday.

Matthew G. Thorne, 31, faces three preliminary counts of battery with a deadly weapon after Madison Police responded to reports of an altercation around 10:30 p.m. Lt. Derk Napier arrived in the 200 block of Fourth Street where he located a 19-year-old man with a large laceration across his chest, shoulder and bicep, a Madison Police release said.

The man was transported to King’s Daughters’ Hospital before being airlifted to the University of Louisville Hospital where he underwent surgery. The person is recovering from his injuries, Detective Jonathon Simpson said Saturday afternoon.

Madison Police Patrolman James Lee, Patrolman Aaron Watson and Capt. Dan Stephan secured the scene for an investigation, and Madison Police Crime Scene Technician Patrolman Shawn Scudder and Simpson assisted with the investigation.

During the investigation, officers learned two other men – ages 19 and 20 – had gone to the King’s Daughters’ Hospital Emergency Room for treatment of lacerations to the arm and chest areas. The two men were later released from the hospital.

Police identified Thorne as a possible suspect in the case during the initial investigation, the release said.

Police located Thorne near Cragmont Street and Presbyterian Avenue. Thorne appeared to have been in an altercation and allegedly had blood on his person. He was detained and transported to the Jefferson County Jail.

During interviews of witnesses and victims, police learned Thorne allegedly used a knife during the altercation with the three other men.

Police asked for the public’s help in locating the weapon following the incident, but police located a utility knife Saturday in the area near Mulberry and Fourth streets where the altercation happened.

The case will be forwarded to the Jefferson County Prosecutor’s Office for further review.

Thorne remains behind bars at the jail where he awaits an initial hearing in the case next week.