February 3, 1865


Jones, Huey & Co….Hasheesh Candy. 
Try it if you want to be cheerful and avoid colds, bronchitis, &c. Price, 25, 50 and $1 per box.

Day before yesterday thirty federal soldiers left Carrollton, Ky., in search of guerillas.  They divided into two parties of fifteen each, and proceeded up the Kentucky river, half on one side and half on the other.  

About noon those on the upper side stopped for their dinner, and their leader, a lieutenant, along with Provost Marshal Carlisle, of Carroll county, told the fifteen men to “scatter around at different houses and get something to eat.”  Mr. Carlisle and the Lieutenant then left the men and the two went to the residence of Mr. Dean, intending after dining to gather up the men and resume their march.

Unfortunately, they were doomed to disappointment, and some of them to death; for shortly after their leaders had left them, a gang of about forty guerrillas suddenly attacked the fifteen, who were compelled to retreat to Carrollton, losing one private killed and two wounded.  The guerrillas then returned to the neighborhood of Mr. Dean’s and approaching the house, demanded the surrender of the Provost Marshall and the Lieutenant, which being refused, fire was opened on the house.

The officers thereupon left the house, and tried, we understand, to escape; but falling into the hands of the guerrillas, they were both conveyed to a hollow some distance off and cruelly and willfully murdered in cold blood, and their bodies left on the spot.

Such acts of fiendish barbarism demand the severest punishment, and if the devils who are guilty of these crimes are not ferreted out and summarily dealt with, somebody will be to blame.

February 6, 1865

Rebel News.

New York, Feb. 6. – During the discussion in the rebel House on arming slaves, Mr. Wigfall, in reply to those who said they were not fighting for slavery, declared he was fighting for slavery and nothing else….

Colonel Garber has been assigned to duty as Chief Quartermaster on Gen. Wm. T. Sherman’s staff in the field, taking the place of General Easton, Chief Quartermaster of the Military Division, who will remain in Savannah until the present brilliant campaign of General Sherman closes, as all his former campaigns have done, in complete and glorious victory.     

February 8, 1865

….Gov. Morton, instead of convening the Legislature in extra session, visits New York, where he made arrangements with Winslow, Lanier & Co., by which they assumed the liabilities arising from the interest on the State debt becoming due.  This firm did not pay this debt, but assumed it….Now the Legislature gives Winslow, Lanier & Co. seven per cent on the amount of interest due creditors of the state.  This amounts to about $33,000, which the taxpayers have to pay, without receiving any benefit from it. – Gov. Morton and his party friends are the only ones benefited.  We regret exceedingly that any Democrat should have voted for this measure, which is a robbery of the people….Brownstown Union.

A Democrat editor talking about the prodigality of the present Legislature, in making appropriations to pay our honest debts, and in almost the same breath condemning Gov. Morton for not convening the Legislature in extra session to make appropriations necessary for the payment of the same debts, by which a much larger one would, in all probability, have been incurred.  The debt due Messrs. Winslow & Lanier has been paid, and it is useless to waste time upon this subject…the interest was paid by Messrs. Winslow & Lanier, out of their own private funds….   

February 21, 1865

Charleston Harbor, Feb. 18.

…About 3 o’clock a terrific explosion occurred in Charleston, which shook every ship in the harbor and off the bar.  Almost simultaneously flames broke out which could be distinctly seen in different parts of the city…

About six o’clock this morning Gen. Schimmilphining moved his forces and occupied the city and its defenses. The formidable earth works on James Island were abandoned and guns spiked.  At 8 o’clock this morning a detachment was sent to take possession of Fort Sumter and raise the flag which Gen. Anderson hauled down nearly four years ago.  At 9 o”clock the flag was raised amid deafening cheers. 

As fast as forces could be thrown into the city they were sent to work to put out the fire, which up to that time of leaving was raging fiercely in different parts of the city….  

•Research conducted by the Jefferson County Civil War Round Table.